Question on Recovering Dash Pad

-

74 DART'

Reaction score
Question for anyone that has recovered there dash pad. I have a 74 Dart that my son and i are working on cleaning and painting on the dash. We removed the dash pad and im thinking of recovering it with vinyl. Doesn't have to be perfect just driver type style. Not sure if i should just recover right over old cover or try to remove the old cover. Never messed with one so any info is appreciated. Thanks J.R.

Question for anyone that has recovered there dash pad. I have a 74 Dart that my son and i are working on cleaning and painting on the dash. We removed the dash pad and im thinking of recovering it with vinyl. Doesn't have to be perfect just driver type style. Not sure if i should just recover right over old cover or try to remove the old cover. Never messed with one so any info is appreciated. Thanks J.R.

i just picked up a dart that someone just covered over the old pad, and ill tell you what. it looks great. i will try to snap a pic for ya

if it's like other vehicles of the era, the old vinyl is vacuum-formed right to the foam (i.e. it's better to go over it rather than remove it).

I have been involved with several dash pads being "covered" ( not recovered - covered) with vinyl, every one of them looked terrific.....NOW the down side.....because of the results from the first "covering"......in each subsequent case we ASKED specifically for different GLUE to be used and in each case different glue WAS used, we did this for a very specific REASON!!!.... so far so good....SORT OF.
ALL of the glues that were used, in each case the glue held the vinyl in place no problem, through both hot and cold environments....AND in each case ALL of the different glues that were used emitted a vapor both while drying and while sitting in the sun years later.... said vapor gets on the windshield in much the same way as the film from a leaking heater core. On the very first vehicle that was done, the windshield was still getting a "foggy" film on it both through the winter storage months and almost daily during the summer months 4 years later!!!
The "fogging" from the available adhesives is very annoying. all of the members of that club ( including ME) that went covering the dash pad, have pulled them out and replaced them with dash pads from JUST DASH's.....they are by no means "inexpensive" however the finished product is OUTSTANDING in both quality and appearance ( fit is a no brainer since it is likely YOUR dash pad being restored ) and they do not emit any annoying vapors that stick to your glass! myself and several friends learned a very expensive lesson, paying for TWO dash repairs one faulty and the one done right.
COVERING them DOES WORK but it is not without recursive annoying FILM on your glass....if ya dont mind that go for it....but plan to clean your glass after each event before the drive home, especially if driving at night!!!
my 2 cents

Thanks to everyone for the quick replies. Think ill try to recover over the old and see how it turns out. Thanks again and any other replies welcome!

-
Back