questions about battery tray mount

-

coffeedart67

Reaction score
Got my Dart back the the hack (er I mean body)shop, where it was undergoing engine compartment paint and rust repair. In repairing the rust where the near the battery tray, they cut a square out and cut half of the strap that is in the fenderwell out. I assume this strap was were the battery tray mounts, my Dart had a parts store generic battery tray, and I plan to put a reproduction battery tray in. My main question is how is the strap attached? I assume it is attached by spot welds from the sheetmetal side, correct? Is there anyway (besides grinding the whole thing off)to remove it without disturbing the sheetmetal side, dont want to disturb the pounds o' putty they put over the patch. Making a new strap is no problem, I can get a piece of strap at work and drill and tap it.

Thanks
Aaron

Could you post some pics we would be able to get a better understanding
Of what your needing to know

here is a pic
147-1.jpg

I assume the strap is where the batter tray bolts.

Well it looks like you have part of it with one hole,did they cover it up also?
If not you could get a new tray put it in position and mark the missing hole
drill it out then fab the missing section out of the same thickness steel
Place it on the inner fender where it should line up with the existing
Other half then mark the hole you drilled and drill and tap the piece
Then install the tray as normal and the bolt will hold the tray and the
Piece you fabbed in place

Yep, that is what I was thinking, no the one hole not covered up, can get metal at work, wasn't sure if I would need to repalce the whole piece or not. Guess it should be ok as the non original battery tray was just held in with 2 bolts without any backing plate and the original brace.
Thanks

-
Back