Quick/dumb question- how to visually identify a 340 vs 360 vs 318 (with a 4bbl)?

-

MRGTX

Reaction score
I just found an ad for what is supposedly a 360 4bbl for sale. The ad claims however that the motor came out of a 1971 Dodge Dart "collector car" that was crashed. Obviously, this could have been an engine swap or the seller could have the year wrong...but how can a guy tell?

It's easy to know what the motor "should be" based on model year. Likewise, it's easy to spot a Magnum motor... but when it comes to telling the LAs apart, especially when dress-up parts have been added, I can't say that I know the difference!

Any clues that I should look for?
Thanks!!
Mike

Theres casting numbers on the drivers side of the block to be seen or the ones stamped into the block just under the drivers side head.

It will be embossed on the side of the block, and stamped on the front side of the block, drivers side below the head deck.

Theres casting numbers on the drivers side of the block to be seen or the ones stamped into the block just under the drivers side head.

Ok... Thanks!
I figured that there must be identifying markings on the block. Are they visible without pulling the motor?

Are the markings obvious or will they need to be decoded?

IIRC, the big blocks are easy to identify thanks to an obvious marking right in front of the intake manifold...

You can narrow it down some by looking at the vibration damper down on the crank. A 318 will always have the thin zero balanced damper, and the 360 will always have the thicker offset balanced damper.

Now, the 340 is a little more difficult to determine as it could have either depending on the year. The best way to determine the displacement of the motor is mentioned above, the numbers stamped into the block right below the drivers side head, right up in front. If it's a 340 it should have 340P in the first 5 charactyers, the "P" indicating Premimum fuel!!

Good luck Sherlock!! Geof

crawl under the car on the drivers side look above the starter there will be a number the last 4 didgets will be for example 340-5 or 360-3 or 318-1 the last number could be from 1 to 9 i hope vthis will make it easier for you.

Cool...thanks, guys!!

I certainly don't mind getting on the ground and crawling under...just so long as it's visible while in a car, I'm happy.

I believe the motor I'm looking at is on a motor stand...but this certainly won't be the last LA I need to identify. :)

If it's in the car it's probably easier to read the number directly under the driver side head. This is stamped, not cast, and the CID is right in I think digits 234 of that string.

Some rebuilt engines may not have that stamping.

Thank you guys for help.
I just looked at a "360" that I found on Craig's list but thanks to the help from this forum, I was quickly able to identify it as a 318 with a 4bbl. The motor looked good but he was asking a lot of cash and I have my heart set on something a bit more performance oriented so I walked.

I'd buy all of you guys a beer if I could! :D

So the junk yards around here aparently have no 5.9 Magnums...where the heck do you guys find your motors?

Thank you guys for help.
I just looked at a "360" that I found on Craig's list but thanks to the help from this forum, I was quickly able to identify it as a 318 with a 4bbl. The motor looked good but he was asking a lot of cash and I have my heart set on something a bit more performance oriented so I walked.

I'd buy all of you guys a beer if I could! :D

So the junk yards around here aparently have no 5.9 Magnums...where the heck do you guys find your motors?

My friend has a 67 barracuda with a 318, he ported the heads, pistons, headers, and intake, some other stuff but he's running 375hp. Its ridiculous. Any motor can be high performance, just don't tell the motor its a boat anchor :finga:

first year for the 360 was 72

Is that right? What was it used in? As we all know, the 340 rolled on in the A-Bodies (and B-Bodies) through '73 (though with a cast crank, etc)...and it wasn't until '74 that we got the 360.

My friend has a 67 barracuda with a 318, he ported the heads, pistons, headers, and intake, some other stuff but he's running 375hp. Its ridiculous. Any motor can be high performance, just don't tell the motor its a boat anchor :finga:

I never said that the motor couldn't be made to be high performance...but imagine what your buddy could do with more cubes, higher compression, four bolt mains, a forged crank, or any of the other goodies on the earlier 340s. I loved my 318. It was always smooth, torquey and reliable but it had the manners of an engine suited to family hauling duty rather than a$$ hauling duty.

Rebuilding/hotrodding my original 318 is still on the table as suitable donors don't appear to be especially plentiful in the CT area....but given the choice, I'd prefer to start with a more high performance, bigger cube platform.

If you're looking for a 360 Magnum ask the salvage yard if they can source one from another yard for you. They are all hooked up in one form or another. Or look for someone selling complete car with one in it might be cheaper and it will run take what you need then just part or scrap it.

If you're looking for a 360 Magnum ask the salvage yard if they can source one from another yard for you. They are all hooked up in one form or another. Or look for someone selling complete car with one in it might be cheaper and it will run take what you need then just part or scrap it.

Thanks. I'll call the local yard back today.

So what would you guys do with an old 318? The Dart Sport isn't really a collector's item (though its precious to me)...and I don't really have room to store the old motor. I'm sentimental enough that I'd like to save it for a later rebuild but in all honesty, I don't imagine ever feeling like throwing money at that.

Actually 360s showed up in 1971 for the first time in C barges. Owned a '71 Sport Suburban. Ran hot compared to a 318) and guzzled gas. Wasn't impressed with it. Keep the 318. They make a real nice 392 stroker kit for them. 8)

Well...I called the boneyard back and sure enough they can get a 1997 5.9L Magnum for me. 117k miles, $485. Hmmm....

Throw a big arm in it, that will turn the heat up on the teen substantially.

This is a hot cam, I assume? :D

Actually 360s showed up in 1971 for the first time in C barges. Owned a '71 Sport Suburban. Ran hot compared to a 318) and guzzled gas. Wasn't impressed with it. Keep the 318. They make a real nice 392 stroker kit for them. 8)

Interesting...good info!

IIRC, the 318's 2-bolt mains and cast crank dont like being worked too hard...is that fair to say?

Is that right? What was it used in? As we all know, the 340 rolled on in the A-Bodies (and B-Bodies) through '73 (though with a cast crank, etc)...and it wasn't until '74 that we got the 360.

I never said that the motor couldn't be made to be high performance...but imagine what your buddy could do with more cubes, higher compression, four bolt mains, a forged crank, or any of the other goodies on the earlier 340s. I loved my 318. It was always smooth, torquey and reliable but it had the manners of an engine suited to family hauling duty rather than a$$ hauling duty.

Rebuilding/hotrodding my original 318 is still on the table as suitable donors don't appear to be especially plentiful in the CT area....but given the choice, I'd prefer to start with a more high performance, bigger cube platform.
i dont mean to disappoint you but no 340 or any other sb mopar for that matter ever came with 4 bolt mains.

-
Back