Quick! FABO member-who is this guy?

-

txstang84

Reaction score
I'm stationed at Hickam now, and me and the wife were walking down Kuhio Ave by Ohana Malia-who is the member in here with a white '67 2 door Valiant with some black chrome rims? I wanted to take a quick snap but I couldn't get my camera out quick enough.

You lucky S.O.B.! Hickam is a great base, hope you enjoy it.

Pretty nice so far-have yet to get base housing yet, so living down in Waikiki

If I get accepted to ots, Hickam and Kadena are my top picks.

I wish you the best of luck, but Hickam may be a tough grab for a new Lt...I did however meet one here last week. He knows one of the folks at my last base

My ship docked at Pearl twice while I was in the Navy. While I really enjoyed Hawaii, I have to admit I wouldn't have wanted to be stationed there. Of course my opinion probably would be different if I actually HAD been stationed there. The weather was gorgeous, the scenery was stunning. But only being there for five days each time, I really didn't get a chance to see the real Hawaii. Only those areas that all the other tourists see, and I think that may have clouded my judgement. Does this make sense?

I used to work on construction jobs both a Pearl Harbor and Hickam. The differences were pretty stark if you go through the back gate from Hickam to Pearl. Hickam is like like a nice upscale neighborhood with this slum right next to it. -pauly

...Only those areas that all the other tourists see, and I think that may have clouded my judgement. Does this make sense?

Yup-but that's why you cruise to places like Hanauma and snorkel, or one of the smaller places around the north side of the island. Tourist areas aren't that bad from where I've gone though. I've certainly seen worse places. But, everything is a little crowded cuz it's a small place.

As far as the Navy side being a slum (if I read that correctly) I can't really speak for that. From what little I've seen of the Navy side, it seems to be a little less organized than what I'm used to on an AF installation, but my experience on that side of the installation is extremely limited

maybe "slum" wasn't the best term. Lets just say that I found the Navy side to be a bit less well kept. -pauly

Being a former Navy man, I would have to agree with both of you. I visited a friend of mine at Travis AFB while I was stationed at NAS Alameda, and the difference was night and day! Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if I had joined the Air Force instead of the Navy. Besides my father disowning me, I mean...

I was stationed at Schoffied Barracks 30 ago. I spent most of my time on the North shore or at Waikiki for nightlife. Raced most Saturdays at Hawaii Raceway Park. I wish I would have stayed in Hawaii when I got out of the service. I have a friend that did and now lives on the Big Island. I have a link saved to my computer that is a live camera feed from Waikiki. I watch it on a regular basis. Thanks for your service and enjoy every minute you have in paradise.

-
Back