Quick Rant

-

'64 Cuda

Reaction score
Why can't Mopar make things that fit?

I have a new set of Mopar SS springs and a Mopar offset spring kit. The holes in the center of the spring perches are too big for the bolts that go through the springs. To use them I'd have to make some bushings to take up the space. But, the kicker is there is a square hole & a round hole punched on the same surface of the perches & both of them fit the bolt perfectly. Just not the hole in the middle that you're supposed to use. IT'S TOO FARGING BIG!

I have a brand new Mopar six pack air cleaner. Had it for a couple of years as I acquire parts for my project. Last night I dug out some things & decided to set the carbs & air cleaner on the manifold to check some things. The air cleaner base doesn't fit! The holes formed in the base aren't big enough to fit over the tops of the end carbs. By a fluke that I'm not going to get into here I happen to have two sets of six pack carbs. I checked all 4 end carbs & the base won't fit over any of them. It also barely fits over the center carb. I can fix it with a bit of work with a grinder or something but THIS THING COSTS AROUND $300 & IT SHOULD FIT!

These are Mopar parts made to fit Mopars. They're not cheap, at least not when you go to buy them. Is it asking too much to have them work without having to modify them? After all, they're not Harley parts. :angry7:

Rant over.

yeah ...there was an article in one of the mopar mag about those spring perches having the wrong size hole...they made a bushing ...and supposely mopar fixed the problem...

Among other things, because Mopar is really no longer in existence and all the parts and engines are farmed out for others to manufacture, so to speak.

Yep alot of the [new] parts don't fit or don't work when you do get them on.

yeah ...there was an article in one of the mopar mag about those spring perches having the wrong size hole...they made a bushing ...and supposely mopar fixed the problem...

I remember that article. And I'm pretty sure I bought my kit a long time after they "fixed" the problem. I guess mine was sitting on the shelf. And what's the deal with the other 2 holes that are the right size? It's just the one in the middle that's wrong! I was planning to move my axle back a bit to center it in the rear wheel well. Thought maybe I'd get lucky & be able to use one of the holes that are the correct size but I think they're going to end up too far off from where I need to be.

Thanks for the offer. If you look at the perches you have in your picture there are three holes in each one. The center hole is the one for the bolt on the springs. On the perches I have that's the hole that's too big. The other holes are the right size. That's what I don't understand. Why is the hole you need to use the wrong size? I can make what I have work with a couple of 1/4" long pieces of steel tubing welded in to use as bushings in the holes. The point is, I shouldn't have to make them work. They should work as they are. If they were universal parts from some other vendor I'd understand, but these came from Mopar in a Mopar box with a Mopar part number on it.

-
Back