Quick ratio steering box

-
I had the 24:1 manual box in mine but switched it to a 20:1 worm gear.
It's a lot better driving it now but a little more difficult parking or turning at low speed. I would think the 16:1 box be really hard to steer at slow or no speed.

All depends, I have 16:1 manual now switching from a power steering car and I couldn't be happier. Parallel parking is the only thing that is at all "difficult". In not big by any means and you sure can't beat the road feel

What ratio comes stock from the factoiry? My car is a 71 Duster,318 automatic. Thanksfor any info

24:1 was a stock factory box, 16:1 was the quick steer box from factory. Most likely yours if manual steering is 24:1

I've done several of these, along with machining the cases and installing roller bearings. As long as parallel parking isn't necessary this may be an option for some. Driving can now be in lieu of arm day at the gym.:D

I have a Flaming River 16:1 manual steering box in my Duster. Works great. Steering above 10mph is no big deal at all, it has a great feel to it. Below 10mph and things start to get a little interesting. Below 5mph and steering inputs take some significant effort. Parallel parking would not be fun. Not impossible, but not fun.

As an extra caveat though, I also have 275/35/18 tires on the front of my Duster, so there's a lot of rubber on the ground too. With narrower tires up front it would be easier.

I have a Flaming River 16:1 manual steering box in my Duster. Works great. Steering above 10mph is no big deal at all, it has a great feel to it. Below 10mph and things start to get a little interesting. Below 5mph and steering inputs take some significant effort. Parallel parking would not be fun. Not impossible, but not fun. As an extra caveat though, I also have 275/35/18 tires on the front of my Duster, so there's a lot of rubber on the ground too. With narrower tires up front it would be easier.
yes i should have mentioned I only have 215/60r15 up front. Any wider would start to become a hassle

Did the high performance cars come with the 16-1 manual boxes? Reason I ask, is that I have a manual box out of a 73 Challenger 340. If I knew how to tell if it's a fast ratio box, I would put it in my Duster.

Fast ratio 16:1 was available in 67-69 A-bodies only. Someone may correct the years, but I'm pretty sure that's it. I got one out of a 67 Coronet. The car was being built for racing at one time. I'm sure it never came with it. You can spin the steering arm and count the revolutions of the input shaft. I think 16:1 equates to 4 +/- turns on the shaft and the others are over 5.

I have driven cars with all 3 ratios. I prefer the 20:1 and that's what I have been using in my cars for a few years. 24:1 is 5 1/2 turns lock to lock. 20:1 is 4 1/2 turns. 16:1 is 3 1/2 turns.

Ah ha! Mine is 24:1 then. I think I will change it to 20:1. This all has been very helpful info guys. Thanks a lot :)

-
Back