Quicksilver Shifter stopped working? Or Transmission. Or valve body

-

Kent mosby

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 727 with transgo 2 valve body kit. I have driven this for a couple years and a couple thousand miles.
Today when I went to drive it would not go into drive without forcing it. I mean really pulling on it.
After getting it into D drive I wanted to go through the gears and when I put it into park, the car would roll back on the driveway.
I verified that it was in park by starting the car in park and neutral (neutral safety switch).
Once driving it automatically went through the gears properly and the GVOD worked as usual. I drove it 20 miles or so. BUT, I could not manually shift it into 1st or 2nd.

What did I break on this transmission??? Or the valve body?

First thing I thought of was shift linkage / cable - either slipped adjustment, or as others suggest, melted, or frayed.

I have a 727 with transgo 2 valve body kit. I have driven this for a couple years and a couple thousand miles.
Today when I went to drive it would not go into drive without forcing it. I mean really pulling on it.
After getting it into D drive I wanted to go through the gears and when I put it into park, the car would roll back on the driveway.
I verified that it was in park by starting the car in park and neutral (neutral safety switch).
Once driving it automatically went through the gears properly and the GVOD worked as usual. I drove it 20 miles or so. BUT, I could not manually shift it into 1st or 2nd.

Yup, the quicksilver is one of my favorite street shifters. I made a habit of sliding a few foot section of rubber fuel hose over the shift cables bc they always rub or melt on something. Start there. Verify the trans shift lever is actually moving, and actually clicking into the various detent positions.
When setting /adjusting, I have found its best to start in first for adjusting. Park is too wide /sloppy to start adjusting from.

Well that would be great news if it is just a melted cable. I will look at it on the weekend.

Yup, the quicksilver is one of my favorite street shifters. I made a habit of sliding a few foot section of rubber fuel hose over the shift cables bc they always rub or melt on something. Start there. Verify the trans shift lever is actually moving, and actually clicking into the various detent positions.
When setting /adjusting, I have found its best to start in first for adjusting. Park is too wide /sloppy to start adjusting from.
Also forgot to mention, the b&m supplied cable is too long. So if you buy a replacement, get one shorter than the stock one they give you.

Also forgot to mention, the b&m supplied cable is too long. So if you buy a replacement, get one shorter.

If they still exist, the summit brand gray ones, are a direct fit, and had a thicker sheathing. And were a tad cheaper if I recall correctly.
I will look at that now. Any part number for me to search?

It is not the cable. The cable works well when disconnected from the lever. The lever on the other hand is very difficult to move. I can move it towards the rear and it bounces back to the front a bit. I believe that that movement is just the park detent. I can then click it one forward and then 2 forward with some might but I cannot by hand move it any more. I am not going to force things. Any ideas on what it could be?? For certain I will have to drop the pan. ( It is on a 4 post lift). That will happen this weekend. What to check next? Drop the valve body? What to look for? Thanks for any guidance. @Johnny Mac ?

I am fine getting a new valve body but I don't want to do that if the transmission is the issue. My feeble knowledge says the transmission is ok because it shifts fine once in drive. But what do I know.

It is not the cable. The cable works well when disconnected from the lever. The lever on the other hand is very difficult to move. I can move it towards the rear and it bounces back to the front a bit. I believe that that movement is just the park detent. I can then click it one forward and then 2 forward with some might but I cannot by hand move it any more. I am not going to force things. Any ideas on what it could be?? For certain I will have to drop the pan. ( It is on a 4 post lift). That will happen this weekend. What to check next? Drop the valve body? What to look for? Thanks for any guidance. @Johnny Mac ?

I am fine getting a new valve body but I don't want to do that if the transmission is the issue. My feeble knowledge says the transmission is ok because it shifts fine once in drive. But what do I know.
Before ultimately admitting defeat myself and pulling the trans and taking it to an old school trans guy (because I too am not a trans builder)

The detent lever should take a little oomf....but it should cleanly click into each detent position. Park does have some dead zone, but from there every other detent position should be very defined. If you are sure the cable was adjusted properly, I too would drop the pan and look for shrapnel. Probably the valve body too if the pan was clear. Just be careful to not drop any pieces or check balls when you lower the VB. I have changed a valve body myself, but thats where my knowledge on trans repair ends. And hopefully someone else can chime in. If it was working properly for miles, and all of a sudden it isnt...and the cable is ok and adjusted properly....unfortunately there isn't much left to do beyond drop the pan.

Sounds like the V/B to me. Possibly the detent ball popped out and the "rooster comb" is riding directly on the spring.

The valve body seems to work ok. The parking rod is stuck in the gear vendors overdrive and it does not look familiar. I will have to pull the gear vendor extension to see what is up. Any thoughts. What could have happened? I cannot move the lever either out or in and cannot remove it.
s
IMG-2054.JPG

By moving the slide on the left I was able to remove the parking brake lever. It does not seem right that it should be able to slip under the flat side. Shouldn't the flat piece on the left be longer or in a different position. Maybe something moved or my lever got bent somehow. Any help. How about a pic of what it should look like?
IMG-2056.JPG

To bring conclusion to this. The parking pawl being out of position caused the lack of shiftability. It makes sense now since the car moved in PARK. Hopefully it does not happen again and also that this thread can help someone else.

At least the transmission got a fresh fluid exchange. I had not done that since I rebuilt it. Now it is shifting well without any issues.

-
Back