Quicksilver under console install details

-

mbaird

mbaird
Reaction score
I am done with trying to get my factory floor shift linkage to work like I think it should .

I picked up a NIB Quicksilver for 200$ so I am going to install it under the factory console.
I had one in my old 340 Dart and really liked its precise shifting.

I know there are many threads on this but none I have found detail the install tricks.... Lots of end result pics but not so many details..... I don't want to hack up the console top.

Any input would be great ! This could be a reference thread for others in the future.

step one take out the console. take out seats. pull back carpet. set shifter without cover on tunnel. set console over the top of shifter. shift the gears so that it doesn't hit front or rear. mark the holes. attach. drill hole for shifter cable. route cable out of harms way.

Sounds simple enough..... But I have noticed that some people had to modify the top plate while other didn't . So I assume there is trick to getting the hieght and position just right.

My dart was a 340 4sp without a console but I ran a 904 for a while and didn't have to worry about
all of this.

Have you run one with a console ? I see your Dart is a 4sp...

aftermarket shifter in factory console
1424225531_zps083a52fc.jpg

If I did it again I would weld a flat plate to the top of the tunnel. Then weld the bolts to the plate. It sucks trying to bolt it from under the car.

I used a plastic oil jug to make the slide. no need to modify the top plate. If i recal the light needs to be removed.

I used to spend much of my summers out in Litchfield blasting around on my dirtbikes or in my 70 Charger back in the late 70's early 80's...... In fact thats the same Charger that was posted for sale in the FABO "Mopars for sale" section yesterday !
I just sold him it end of last year.... My 1st car....
I gave him the original window sticker , bill of sale and build sheet.... I dont know why he didn't mention that. Oh well..

I go to the drag strip in grove city right next to litchfield. was hoping to make it there yet this year but I have a mistery oil leak.

That sucks... must be a big leak.
I have gear lube running down the back of my 8 3/4 housing from the top and I will be damned if I can find out where it is coming from ! I have the pumpkin out right now and cant see any breaks in the welds from the inside out. I can clean it off and drive 2 miles and it will be running down the back of housing....nothing on the carrier...
I'm on my 3rd reseal of the pumpkin using new factory gasket and/or RTV. going to try sealing the seams from within this time using Permatex Blue...
And axle tube vent is fine (New) tried an old one as well...

URGHHHH......

-
Back