Quitting smoking.

-
Thanks for all the encouraging words. They are helpful. And you others that are in the process of going smoke free, hang in there and we will all get through this together.

I wonder if we can get this thread stickied for a while so others can use it for inspiration.

Jack
X2 on that brother !!! Treva has this by her computer , Lets do it and stick to it together

Joeychogo, AdamR, Staff !!!!!!! can this be dun please ??

Attachments

• 2012 december 040.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 194
Congratulations! Keep it up!

I quit August 2001. I was extremely glad I did. I volunteered to be part of the first group from my base to deploy on Sep 11 2001. When we arrived to a bare base in the dessert, you can imagine, all the smokers were hard up for cigarettes and there were none to be found. A couple months later when most of us left there but a few had to stay behind, I sent them 8 cartons of cigs a week later from the other country that we went to.

Good luck to you. It will get easier.

Congrats Jack! You can do it my friend. When you get the
urge just inhale 3 or 4 times, expand your lungs as much
as you can.

I am smoke free since 1991

Congrats! You can do it. I quit cold turkey when they hit the ridiculous price of 50 cents a pack, it will get easier.

Good luck!!! Sun flower seeds worked for me as a great distraction.

Times 2 on this Jack, and I see it's not a sticky yet!! I will see what I can do, me, I am smoke free for about 6 hours... This will be a great day to mark on my calendar..

Keep it up!! You guys are inspiring me! :thumrigh::thumrigh::thumrigh::thumrigh::thumrigh::thumrigh::thumrigh:

I almost showed this thread to my wife, she asked if I needed anything from town
I said no, she said no cigrettes :coffee2: and I said we are quitting and she said I'm not :protest: I said Coyote Jack and I are quitting let me show you this thread
Then she took of to town :glasses7:
I am glad she did not want to take the time to look at it
she will have a fit if she seen the picture :iconbigg:

I bet his deep breaths are getting deeper by know folks
Tony said the same thing to me in my quite smoking thread, and it's a good habit to get in to and feeds the brain :coffee2:

Another day anther way, Stay tuff Coyote :wav:

the first 3 or 4 days were the worst for me but trust me the cravings get easier from here on ..... always think positive, your sense of smell and taste returning were the biggest pluses for me.

Keep it up Jack!
I stopped smoking once for 7 years, thought i had it beat.
All i can say is after you stop, go through all of the crap to stay stopped, and NEVER in your whole life have one more puff......ever again!
I puffed on a cigar when a friend of mine had his first boy, he went around handing out cigars. Well i had a couple of puffs, was disgusted by the taste and smell, but i started smoking again within a month.
Smoking is the biggest head trip that i can think of.
When i stop again, i will never have even a puff ever!
Yeah, the sunflower seeds helped me a lot too when i stopped the first time.

My grandfather was a smoker. 2 packs a day of Kent no filter since he was 14 years old. He went to the doctor one day and the doctor told him that he had to stop smoking. He never smoked another cigarette after that visit, quit cold turkey.

It was too late, however, he already had emphysima (check spelling). He had to be on oxygen tanks for at least 3 times a day with tubes stuck up his nose. He finally decided that he didn't want to live on the oxygen everyday and stopped using it. He died 6 AM on Christmas Day that year. It ruined our Christmas that year. I was only 8 years old and did not get to know him as well as I wanted to. I can remember some things about him, but did not get to know him as well as I wish I could have if I were older.

Keep up the good fight guys!
I've never been a smoker but my brother and sister both smoke and keep telling me they wish they could quit.
Both of my dads younger brothers where smokers and died from lung cancer at 57 and 62 my dad never smoked and is 85.

congrats!!!!!!!!! wish i could quit ill try again soon i dont smoke alot one small pouch of tobacco last me about a week. if i dont smoke though i get head aches and have anxiety problems. i just need a few days to go camping or something where there is nothing to stress about lol and no way to get smokes.

Im taking the taper down approach. I started smoking at 33 (who the hell does that?).

My wife quit cold turkey about 3 months ago. Over the last couple weeks I have went from a pack a day to one pack every 3 to 4 days.

This is working for me. Everyday I care less and less about smoking.

Im taking the taper down approach. I started smoking at 33 (who the hell does that?).

My wife quit cold turkey about 3 months ago. Over the last couple weeks I have went from a pack a day to one pack every 3 to 4 days.

How many cigarettes were you smoking a day?

And sometimes it's an approach that works. Some can quit cold turkey, some, like you, taper down, some use meds, some chew gum.

I've gone cold turkey once in my life. Didn't work so well. The meds didn't work at all. Chantix turned Sarah's life into a living hell.

I think the taper down approach might help me when it comes time to quit.

Day Twelve for me,I need to try the sunflower seeds but been eating a lot of chocolate that is suppose to be for my customers in the office....M and M'S and miniature candy bars ,Hershey's kisses are filling the void....

I guess I'm lucky, I have a lot of friends who smoke (I'm 21) but cigarettes have always made me feel like ****... I will sometimes get an urge to smoke a cig but after I get halfway through one I feel nauseous and lightheaded and ask myself "why the hell was I doing this?" Now Mary Jane, that's a whole 'nother ball game lol...

Just think about your family, esp. kids if you have any... Imagine them growing up and puffing on 'cancer-sticks' all day long; for me that would be plenty of motivation but then again I haven't had to struggle quitting, I just told myself it's a total waste and think about how gross I feel every time I smoke.

Good luck, and keep at it!

Day Twelve for me,I need to try the sunflower seeds but been eating a lot of chocolate that is suppose to be for my customers in the office....M and M'S and miniature candy bars ,Hershey's kisses are filling the void....
I had my granddaughter so it was an easy day and I stayed busy :thumrigh:
Munching on pecans and a tall glass of milk.. Time for a good nights sleep.
Thank's to everyone and there reality stories

Times 2 on this Jack, and I see it's not a sticky yet!! I will see what I can do, me, I am smoke free for about 6 hours... This will be a great day to mark on my calendar..

How about makin' it a sticky until Jan 2013 for everyone!!

Go for it and best of luck........:thumrigh:

It's funny you mention the eating thing. Many people have told me they gained a fair amount of weight when they quit. I am finding just the opposite. I have lost a few pounds so far, (which is a good thing,LOL), because I find that every time I eat something I want to have a smoke. The answer to that was don't eat more than I have to. I did have 3 beer yesterday and sure as ****, I wanted a smoke bad. So that was it for the beer. I don't know if my sense of smell or taste will get any better. I can smell a moose at 300 yards now and the wife says she has never met anybody that can taste the different spices in food they way I can.

So here we are, going into day 5 and still smoke free. Each day is a struggle, but as long as it doesn't get any worse I think I can do this.

Keep up the good work all that are trying to quit!!!!

Jack

-
Back