Quitting smoking.

-
My grandfather was a smoker. 2 packs a day of Kent no filter since he was 14 years old. He went to the doctor one day and the doctor told him that he had to stop smoking. He never smoked another cigarette after that visit, quit cold turkey.

It was too late, however, he already had emphysima (check spelling). He had to be on oxygen tanks for at least 3 times a day with tubes stuck up his nose. He finally decided that he didn't want to live on the oxygen everyday and stopped using it. He died 6 AM on Christmas Day that year. It ruined our Christmas that year. I was only 8 years old and did not get to know him as well as I wanted to. I can remember some things about him, but did not get to know him as well as I wish I could have if I were older.

Reading this is heart breaking.

Make a list of all the things you don't like about smoking, and look at it if you get the urge. Stay strong....you can do it.

A big motivator for me was being at a really great party and being the only one there who smoked. I felt like an outcast and an outsider.

When you get the urge, take some deep breaths, and think how much better your lungs and your body will work. By the way, guys, when you quit smoking, there's better circulation to ALL body parts.:cheers:

It's funny you mention the eating thing. Many people have told me they gained a fair amount of weight when they quit. I am finding just the opposite. I have lost a few pounds so far, (which is a good thing,LOL), because I find that every time I eat something I want to have a smoke. The answer to that was don't eat more than I have to. I did have 3 beer yesterday and sure as ****, I wanted a smoke bad. So that was it for the beer. I don't know if my sense of smell or taste will get any better. I can smell a moose at 300 yards now and the wife says she has never met anybody that can taste the different spices in food they way I can.

So here we are, going into day 5 and still smoke free. Each day is a struggle, but as long as it doesn't get any worse I think I can do this.

Keep up the good work all that are trying to quit!!!!

Jack
I probably should be gaining weight with all the sweets I have been eating but I always had a high metabolism.
Just keeping busy is the main thing ....
Day Thirteen for me,Stay strong everyone !!!

I quit smoking CIGARETTES....I didnt stop Nicotine.
I did the math, and it was the Monetary Cost that really upset me.
I started smoking Marlboro Mediums in 1995.....they were $1.69 a pack.
4 Weeks ago, I bought my last pack...for $6.48

I now consume 18/mg Nicotine Vapor with a Electronic Cigarette...and feel much better...

When I feel the stress or anxienty coming on, I rip on the E-Cig for about 4 drags and put it away.....I'm good to go for a few hours, or whenever.

I am 4 weeks in, and the E-Cigarette paid for its self on the 6th day of not buying a pack a day at $6.48/pack.

I will eventually just fully quit and put my e-cig in the dresser draw, but this has been the best quitting exerience I have had in nearly 20 years of Pack/Day smoking.

The E-cigarette cost $35, and the nicotine drops cost $7. So far I have used (1) bottle of CHERRY nicotine drops...$7/month is ok in my book...but good luck to all you Ex-Smokers....keep it up!!!

****if anyone wants to know more about the E-Cig...check out http://www.vaporking.com/

I quit smoking CIGARETTES....I didnt stop Nicotine.
I did the math, and it was the Monetary Cost that really upset me.
I started smoking Marlboro Mediums in 1995.....they were $1.69 a pack.
4 Weeks ago, I bought my last pack...for $6.48

I now consume 18/mg Nicotine Vapor with a Electronic Cigarette...and feel much better...

When I feel the stress or anxienty coming on, I rip on the E-Cig for about 4 drags and put it away.....I'm good to go for a few hours, or whenever.

I am 4 weeks in, and the E-Cigarette paid for its self on the 6th day of not buying a pack a day at $6.48/pack.

I will eventually just fully quit and put my e-cig in the dresser draw, but this has been the best quitting exerience I have had in nearly 20 years of Pack/Day smoking.

The E-cigarette cost $35, and the nicotine drops cost $7. So far I have used (1) bottle of CHERRY nicotine drops...$7/month is ok in my book...but good luck to all you Ex-Smokers....keep it up!!!

****if anyone wants to know more about the E-Cig...check out http://www.vaporking.com/
My friend Bunny quit with the E cigarette....now she is addicted to them....
Hey,Where she works she no longer has to go outside to just have a couple of drags...:D

This has been my motivation

Picture I took last night letting Macy watch a Mattyb Video and singing to it.

It's going to be hard to get her into the blues and rock from what I seen
last night :banghead: it must be a girl thing and her age I hope :D

A soon as she went home I could smell a cigarette :pukeleft:
I really wish I can get my wife on board.. Macy is here now :cheers:
Mike Jr. and his wife are go shopping... :cheers::cheers:

Attachments

• 2012 december 083.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 193
Mike, it has got to be tough to do this and have the Mrs. still puffing away. Wish you the best of luck. My Mother smoked for what seemed forever. She would quit only to start again. I can remember being in Little League and her smoking those small cigars, Tijuana Smalls. She used to give them out to everyone on our team that wanted them, with the parents permission of course. Can remember standing on the pitchers mound and seeing the third baseman puffing away. She finally quit when my Dad had the 5 strokes. Years later she was having some health problems that they thought were tb. Sent her in for lung x-rays.....cancer in the bottom 1/4 of both lungs. Told her if she had not stopped when she did it would have been a lot worse. My Dad used to smoke a pipe and those cheap *** Garcia Vega Cigars. I would spend my summers driving around NJ with him doing estimates for his business. He had taken the screw out of the window crank on my side of the truck one day. I did not think nothing of it. We were out running around and I pissed him off. He reached over and took the window crank, turned the a/c on recirculate and lit up a cigar. Learned real quick not to piss him off when we were in the truck....

My mom smocked Taringtons (can't spell it) The sales pitch was
You would rather fight then switch and Grandma was a Pallmall's smoker.
I have dun it before and restarted smoking, she will one day soon I hope Ink, her
new car is a no smoking area and so far I have not seen any signs she has.
Crackers and honey is always here by my computer where an ash tray
would have been, Macy about drained my cracker supply last night .

Attachments

• 2012 december 085.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 179
The meds didn't work at all. Chantix turned Sarah's life into a living hell.

I am on the Canadian version of Chantix. It's call Champix. I was told it could have some bad side effects so I told the wife to keep an eye on me. So far she says all is good.

Jack

I can't believe it's been a whole week since my last smoke. It seems longer than that. I guess if this was easy anybody could do it.

Jack

Congrats Jack on the week!! I have a script somewhere for Champix and once I find it Im gonna try to kick it again! Keep up the good work!

I can't believe it's been a whole week since my last smoke. It seems longer than that. I guess if this was easy anybody could do it.

Jack

CONGRATS! Convince yourself "I have suffered for a whole 7 days - If I have another cig it will have been for nothing" I quit in July 2005. It just gets easier from here on. Keep up the fight and good luck!

Jack

Jack...........

Attachments

• 1775404102805296043v9ldd8zc.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 155

Jack
You are a Coyote :cheers::cheers:
You are staying strong and going for it for the long haul :cheers: I shot pool last night and I smoked 2 sigs with a few cold ones and this morning I can smell it on my clothes :sign3:
I have no erg at all to have one this morning and will stay smoke free today.
I got week, stumbled and feel off the wagon :sad:, but back on track today.
11 hours for me, You are a giant :cheers: and should be very proud that you are staying strong.. I am very happy and proud to see this post this morning

I was never a smoker, I have several friends who do and have lost people in my family due to smoking. Smoking is the single worst thing for your heart.....period. I lost my uncle just over a year ago, he died from heart problems due to smoking. He started smoking when he was 13 or 14 and did up intill it was too late. I miss him very much, he was 49 and left behind 3 young kids and a wife :sad5:

It is a gross, nasty habit, sorry, I am not trying to preach.......

I hope everyone here trying can quit, it will be the greatest thing and I wish you all the best :glasses7:

Congrats to you too Mike, I didnt realize you were quitting. I have tried several times and even quit for over 2 years. There are things that "trigger" the cravings...coffee, long drives, beer n alcolhol....oh yeah sex too LOL Gotta try to keep away from the "triggers"...

Congrats to you too Mike, I didnt realize you were quitting. I have tried several times and even quit for over 2 years. There are things that "trigger" the cravings...coffee, long drives, beer n alcolhol....oh yeah sex too LOL Gotta try to keep away from the "triggers"...
I have been off of these nasty things for most of this year because of my wife loosing her job back in February and I had, yes had!! a plastic coffee can (large Foldgers coffee container) with dolors and change in it showing my wife to get on board just how much these things cost, plus I had a good saving here at home building up :D
She said she would quite and she used the money to repaint the inside of the house and she said she/us would not smoke in the house.....
needless to say after bought 2 weeks I came home from a car show/swap meet she and my sister inlaw was setting at her computer smoking :pain10:
I was like !! What the he double hockey sticks :protest:
I am older and wiser and know I need to do this for myself and now that she is gone back to work just 5 weeks or so now it keeps me cleaning and I stop and gab here, I need to start another savings and put a sign on it..
:protest::protest::protest::protest::protest: I said no smoking in this house.

Keep it up it gets easier. You'll be amazed at how much more you accomplish with two hands and new energy! And experiencing food/wine/beer all over again with a restored sense of smell and taste is a big plus.

Day 17 and still smoke free...Urges still there but I am determined to be done with them...Definitely on the crabby side though...

Six days smoke free here. I was very crabby the first 3 days but I don't think about it as much now. Mornings are still difficult. I always sat on the front porch and had a cup of coffee and a smoke. Stay strong folks and even if you slip forgive yourself for it and try again.
~Michael

TXDart and Dartman1969,

That is awesome for both of you. The wife hasn't complained about me being crabby yet, so I can't be to bad. LOL My co-workers are real supportive and helpful. I was talking to one of the higher ups, also a friend, today and we came to the realization that when another co-worker retires next week there won't be any smokers left in our section. When I first went to work there, 28 years ago, there were more smokers than non-smokers.

Jack

Jack, get some tough beef jerky. It keeps your hand and mouth buzy just like smoking does.The jerky will calm you down just like a bottle does for a baby.Also its good with beer. A good peppered jerky will take the place of a smoke just fine. I did this many years ago and am speaking from experience.

I bought some of the Blu e-cigs yesterday. They seem to work great. Haven't wanted a smoke since I started using them.

congradulations jack i know you can do this your a very determined guy just ask the moose and deer lol

In a couple weeks it'll be 3 years smoke free for me ( after 30+yrs)! Cold turkey..just said enough, smoked the last cig in the pack and that was it. Congrats and good luck to all you guys trying to quit....believe me it's worth it!!! If I can do it...anyone can!!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, quitting smoking isn't the hard part, it's the true committing to quitting that is. Most people struggle with that and then even if they are successful they're just one upsetting incident away from starting up again. If you can totally commit and say that's it, I will never have another cigarette, case closed, you can do it. If you really don't think you can, you're probably right.

I quit 25 years ago when my 2 year old son picked a butt off the ground and pretended to smoke. That was it for me, never smoked again.

-
Back