R & R leaf spring bushings.

-

Cuda68Scott

Reaction score
I have never replaced the leaf bushings on my 68 Barracuda, and am seeking advice on the the best shadetree method to remove and replace. I have a set of Energy polyurethane bushings I plan to install. On the internet, I have seen torches, BFH's, and drills used in removing the front bushing. Has anybody made a homemade tool to do the the job, such as maybe some c-clamp contraption? Once it is out, will a new one push back in with a rubber hammer?

Thanks, Scott

OEM bushings are pressed in. Any local shop with a press could press them out.
All the poly bushings I've seen, one could stand 3 feet away and toss them in. No press fit to those. They are known to squeak too. No way to add grease.

Thanks I have heard that the polyurethane squeak, but I got these free and thought I would give them a try to save a few bucks. I figured a shop would do it for me, but I was hoping someone might have some "do it in your own garage without a press" experience to offer.

I have done it with a piece of threaded rod, couple nuts, pieces of tubing and some big washers in a pinch. a press would be easier.

I did mine just the other day on my bench vice. It's a 6-8 inch vice and has a deep throat. I cut a short piece of exhaust pipe the size that fits up against the bushing outer shell then I cut another piece of exhaust pipe that was the size of the outer loop of the spring. The only problem was that the bushing gets rusted in there and is pressed as well. After many tries (it wouldn't budge) using my pieces of pipe I got wise!!!!!!!! I used some small chisels and hammered them into the slot where the spring loop closes. The chisels wedge themselves in between the loop end and the spring forcing the loop to open just enough to relieve all the pressure and break the rust. Once I got the small chisels wedged in there as deep as I could get them the vice had no problem pushing the bushing out. As luck would have it...the same chisels made the bushing installation just as easy!!

CAUTION!!!!!------since you are forcing the chisels into a hardened spring coil (the outer loop) they will tend to shoot out as you try and hammer them in so be very careful that nobody is standing around or that your nice car isn't close by. The flying chisel will cut right into your paint job and also put a dent in your car. To be safe you can latch onto each chisel with a pair of small vice grips or lay a heavy rag over them as you hammer them into the spring. Don't say I didn't warn you because the chisels will shoot out of there when your trying to get them started!! Wouldn't hurt to wear a face shield!!
I couldn't believe how easy the bushing came out once I had a couple of small chisels wedged in there.

GOOD LUCK,
Treblig

Thanks guys, I do not have a big enough bench vise, so I am leaning towards using a large c-clamp and some pipe, but may just follow Vitamindarts method. Trebling, thanks for the tip on the chisel, and I will let you know if I still have any fingers left afterwards!:D

I always take my hacksaw apart, and insert the blade thru the steel center insert of the old rubber bushing, and then put the hacksaw back together. I then saw a section of the center sleeve out. Then take the saw back apart and knock the center sleeve out. I then put the saw back together inside the rubber part of the bushing, and saw it until it will separate. Take the hacksaw back out, pry the rubber bushing up in the center until it overlaps itself, and then knock it out. Be careful not to destroy the thin steel liner between the rubber and the leaf spring eye. Some, but not all poly bushings need it left in to fit tight. Hillbilly engineering? Why yes, thank you very much! :D

-
Back