radiator cap pressure

-

Sussmad

Reaction score
I need a new cap. The one I am replacing is for a 63 /170, it's pressure rating is 14lb. The one on my 68/225 is 7. The radiator in the 63 is old and I am not sure how well it is working. The gage reads high but I haven't overheated. Thanks for any suggestions.

If you are running conventional water-based coolant, a 7-pound cap is not correct. It will reduce stress on the radiator and other potential leak points, but it will also fail to prevent localised boiling inside the engine which leads to ping. Better to have an intact cooling system and use the correct pressure cap.

Me, I run waterless coolant and so I run a 7-pound cap, but only because a 0-pound (non-pressure) cap isn't readily available.

Stock pressure rating on the cap is 13 or 14 pounds without A/C, 16 pounds with A/C. See here for info on different types of caps.

You'll want to measure with an actual thermometer to see if your high temperature gauge reading means the engine is running hotter than it should, or that the gauge is not accurate. You'll also want to do normal maintenance -- thermostat (180°, preferably a Stant Superstat #45358, take a good look at that radiator, make sure the hoses are in good shape, and keep in mind two frequent causes of heat-related issues on slant-6 engines: rust-through of the coolant blockoff on the original shim steel type head gasket (which allows coolant to short-circuit its intended flow path, leaving some cylinders inadequately cooled) and "mud" buildup in the block, especially at the rear (which insulates the cylinders and prevents effective cooling). But if your gauge is reading hot and the radiator is suspect, I'd start looking there.

Thanks Dan. went to change the thermostat but the lower bolt is frozen. (I posted a tread on this). The guy who helps me didn't want to force it afraid the bolt head would snap right off. Then what? He claims the water pump housing makes it impossible to reach that bolt with his drill so he would have to pull the head to access it. One member on the site says to sacrifice the thermostat housing if necessary. I thought that was a pretty good idea. I thought maybe a after market temp gage (mechanical or electric) might give a better reading but my daughter (her car) wants the dash to have a stock look. a purest I guess.

The guy who helps me didn't want to force it afraid the bolt head would snap right off. Then what?

Then...no big deal. Very easy access to that bolt once the thermostat housing is removed.

He claims the water pump housing makes it impossible to reach that bolt

Doesn't make sense. The water pump is not near enough to the thermostat housing to cause any interference.

One member on the site says to sacrifice the thermostat housing if necessary. I thought that was a pretty good idea.

It is. A new housing can be had easily and inexpensively.

I thought maybe a after market temp gage (mechanical or electric) might give a better reading but my daughter (her car) wants the dash to have a stock look. a purest I guess.

Well, whatever kind of gauge is in use, it sounds like the cooling system needs some attention.

-
Back