Radiator Interchange /6 Valiant 65->63?

-

painsinner

Reaction score
Hi folks,
My Valiant 1963 /6 170cui needs a new radiator. Will a stock radiator from a Valiant 65 fit? What year stock rads are interchangeable, which will fit without to much changes? Thx in advance!

Hi folks,
My Valiant 1963 /6 170cui needs a new radiator. Will a stock radiator from a Valiant 65 fit? What year stock rads are interchangeable, which will fit without to much changes? Thx in advance!

The 65 Slant radiator core is the same size as your 63, but measures 22 inches wide due to the wider passenger side bracket. It won't directly swap into your 19 inch wide opening. I'd say unsolder your bracket(s) and swap them to the 65 radiator. Should fit then.

Pretty sure to fit a 22" radiator into a 63 requires cutting and moving bolt holes on the passenger side of the support. Nothing too cosmic.

I have an almost new 18" radiator in a box that I used for about a month but would not cool my v8 here in AZ. I paid $350 for it and would sell it for $100 plus shipping.

The lower hose fitting is on the drivers side and it does have the auto trans cooler. Any radiator shop should be able to change lower hose sides. Your call.

Mike

A '63 and '64 radiator will swap over with no changes necessary but the '65-6 won't. The '65-6 19" radiator will work if you swap bracket(s) as needed like 65 Dartman said but the 22" ones won't fit without more extensive mods. Keep in mind that they made the radiators in manual and automatic versions on the factory ones. The auto type will fit the manual but not the other way around due to no transmission cooler.

-
Back