Radio Question

-

keith9291

Reaction score
Someone told me a few years ago there was some that was taking vintage car radio and update them with new electronics and rcs outs. anyone know who does this??

Yes i think its classic raido.com you send yours in and they redo it too with out changing the face ?

check around,, i have seen prices all over the place,,a friend of mine had one done,,here in PA cost almost 600.00 bucks he told me,,then we seen a guy at carlisle said he charges 385.00 and had more wattage,,

keep in mind,, your tuning pots/posts need to be in good working order,no one yet offers any type of replacement pot / post,,

they use your orignal tuning posts,,

I had a guy by the name of Mike Frenchek do my thumbwheel am and make it 4 channel ,45 watts, with aux inputs. I think his company is called Retro Radio. He`s located in Pa. ,cost was around $400.00.

long gone how does it sound ?? i think i have an orignal radio for my car packed away,,my friends i never heard, he hooked it up bass ack wards,, blew it up never fixed it,,,

long gone how does it sound ?? i think i have an orignal radio for my car packed away,,my friends i never heard, he hooked it up bass ack wards,, blew it up never fixed it,,,

If you want the best sound quality then buy a good aftermarket radio/cd and hide it somewhere, but if you want decent sound with the stock look then the retro fit might be the way to go. It doesn`t compare to radios on the market today but it sounds pretty good as you get the volume up. At lower volumes the frequency response is not as good. You can plug in cd players or MP3`s into the aux inputs and the sound quality is right good. The real beauty of the upgrade is the radio appears stock except for the addition of one LED and it goes right in the dash without hacking anything up.

Well Il Think About It,,not To Much Stock On My Car Any Way,,,400.00 I Probably Wont Be Able To Hear It Any Way,,,car Is Too Loud,, Thansk For The Info,,,

7demon2, when you get them back let us know how they turned out, maybewith a pic or 2.
It would be interesting to know if they can make a am/fm from just a am radio

7demon2, when you get them back let us know how they turned out, maybewith a pic or 2.
It would be interesting to know if they can make a am/fm from just a am radio
they can do the am only to am/fm stereo as well. i am not sure how that works though. i will be glad to post some pics when they come back.....

I wonder how hard this could be to do it yourself?
from what i have been able to read on this, the boards for the radio can only be purchaced through a couple of places. those places only will sell to liscensed dealers, or something like that. this is why you don't see anybody selling kits for do it yourself set ups.

keep in mind,, your tuning pots/posts need to be in good working order,no one yet offers any type of replacement pot / post,,

they use your orignal tuning posts,,

i can't see why that is an issue. those posts are nothing more than variable restors pots. any modern circuit board has those. from what i was told the entire guts of your original radio is taken out and replaced with a much smaller and lighter circuit board . my radios i had sent in were both in great condition on the outside, but who knows about the inside? both were untested and were as i bought them out of the junkyard i got them from. i checked in with the guy about 2 weeks ago and was told everything was coming along nicely........who knows....we shall see i guess......here is the link to the guy who is doing mine.
http://www.turnswitch.com/

I had mine converted a few years ago and have no problems with it, it also has RCA jacks in the back so I can play my IPOD through it.
Antique Automobile Radio http://www.antiqueautomobileradio.com/

Interior.JPG

My am thumbwheel is set up so when you turn it on it goes to fm, but if you want am you merely turn it off then back on quickly and the radio goes to am. Pushbuttons all work normally. Balance and fader are controlled by tuning in a station and then quickly turning the tuner to one end of the dial or the other. Once there the station you were just listening to will start to play again and you can use the tuner to adjust balance or fader.

i can't see why that is an issue. those posts are nothing more than variable restors pots. any modern circuit board has those. from what i was told the entire guts of your original radio is taken out and replaced with a much smaller and lighter circuit board . my radios i had sent in were both in great condition on the outside, but who knows about the inside? both were untested and were as i bought them out of the junkyard i got them from. i checked in with the guy about 2 weeks ago and was told everything was coming along nicely........who knows....we shall see i guess......here is the link to the guy who is doing mine.
http://www.turnswitch.com/

the guy i talked to at spring/fall carlisle reuses the old tunning pots,,maybe some one has come up with new ones that will accept your orignal knobs,

-
Back