Raising the rear end

-

JamesRR

Reaction score
Hello all. Curious as to the easiest way to raise the rear end of my 1966 Barracuda about 2". Shackles? more leafs? Any advice appreciated.

J:sign3:

Shackles or air shocks is easiest, but you will probably have wheel hop then. New leaf springs, or add a leaf would be the best way.

i put some shackles on my 68 dart and it raised it to what i wanted but after a few weeks it "settled" down and now its lower than i want ....not sure what i did wrong but that was kinda dis-appointing

Add a leaf, or new leafs. Shackles are a dipsh*t way to do it, and air shocks will rip out your upper shock mounts.

Due to the way Mopar springs are made (asymetrical with most of the strength forward of the axle and 2/3 of the length behind the axle) shackles will NOT work to raise the car, BUT will kill handling. I've run air shocks, as have many others. I've NEVER personally seen one rip the upper shock mounts out.

New springs or front hangers would be a better way to accomplish your goal.

Here goes the old air shock debate ...lol Well shackles raised the back of my B bod the 1 1/2" i needed for tire clearance and I haven't noticed any handling problems. To each their own...

... and air shocks will rip out your upper shock mounts.

Not to debate, but I've run air shocks on my '65 Barracuda for decades to keep the car off the tires. Nowadays I use 40 psi or so, but in the old days I used 90+ psi on a daily basis. I have never "ripped out my upper shock mounts". In fact, there is no sign of deformation or anything going on with those mounts. I'm just sayin'... it's an option.

the right way to do it is to put a set of springs on the car. is the car sagging because of old worn out springs or is it at stock height and you want it a little higher?

http://www.springsnthings.com/ sell springs in stock height +1" and +2" heights...

and if all you want is 2" i'm sure air shocks would be fine.. air shocks are usually fine as long as you don't pump them up to 150psi. hell i had them on my dart for well over 10 years with no issues at all.

i put some shackles on my 68 dart and it raised it to what i wanted but after a few weeks it "settled" down and now its lower than i want ....not sure what i did wrong but that was kinda dis-appointing
Did nothing wrong, springs are just shot, they probably are arched the wrong way now......

...............Ive seen a few A bodies with the upper rear shock mounts ripped out , then big washers welded in..............kim...........

I had air shocks AND shackles in my first high school '65. I dont know WTF but when I went over speed bumps and the suspension rebounded, it made a hell of a lot of noise locking the shocks up, like someone hitting the floorpan with a 3 lb sledge. My shocks were probably the wrong size, bought it like that so it would not rub the 10" wide wheels in the back on the fender trim. Scared passengers...bump..."WTH was that!!!" haahahaa

so.. if you have a donor car, what "leaf' would you pick for height enhancement?

I never busted shock mounts with air shocks, I have them now and like them.

Time you buy the air shocks and shakles, you are real close to new spring prices.
Mancini has 1" over xhd springs which will give you about 2" over old wore out springs.
They are like 320 bucks.
Expo is another good option.

the best way is to add a leaf but it will stiffen up you ride little, you can use shackels i have used them a few times on jeep cherokee to get lifts in the

-
Back