Rally Dash Bezel. Restore or Buy Repo?

-

dusterdemon

Reaction score
Now that the reproduction ralley dash bezels have been out for a while, I was just wondering what everyone thinks about them? I searched for a long time to find an uncut, unbroken ralley dash bezel, and paid a lot of money for it.(Before the repo's were available.) Now I don't know if I should have it restored or just buy a repo. It would be approx. the same money either way. Let me know which way you guys would go. Thanks Warren

IMO - not that I have any first-hand experience w/ the repop bezels - But I would sell the original one you have and buy the repo one. Look at it this way: The bezel cost you X amount of $, and now you have to shell out more $ for resto. If it'll cost the same $ to restore as compared to buying a new set, sell the original, and put that $ toward the new repo set.

Now that's just me - people put so much stock into buying and keeping every piece of the car original as if that'll actually have an impact on the value of the car. That thing really only applies to concourse-quality resto jobs that I would guess only applies to less than 1% of the restoration hobby. Original parts are always nice, but technically it's not the original bezel anyway if your car didn't roll off the assembly line with it.

From what I've seen, the repop bezels are pretty darn indistinguishable from the originals, so someone would be hard-pressed to identify it as a repop once it's installed in your car.

I heard that the repops are not correct and are made cheap, I am restoring my original 340 rallye dash bezel when the time comes. They can do wonders with the original, including reparing holes, cracks, even patching in the area cut out for the radio (like most), they can look good as new! My car will be stock and for show, if it were just a street machine or cruiser I might go for the repop.

I haven't seen the A-body rallye bezels in person, so I can't agree or disagree w/ them not looking right, but I can say that i've seen repop B-body bezels at the shows in person, and I'd never be able to tell them from the originals.

My point is, regardless or whether its a show car or a driver, if the rest of the car is not 100% dead-on balls original, you can get away with using good repops that donl't affect the value or the ability to look original.

I've come to the realization (after searching for so many original parts over the years) that a part like this original or not has no affect on the show worthy-ness or value of the car, and a lot of $ is wasted on small parts that 99% of the people out there could never tell apart from the repops. And you know what? Who cares if somebody DOES know its a repop - as long as it looks and functions just like the original.

I bought one of the reproductions about a year ago and although it`s pretty and shiny, there`s a lot to be improved upon with the actual casting of the piece. Contours on the back side of the bezel are obvious on the front. The paint job is not that good, peeling off around areas like the lighter and radio opening. Do not use masking tape around the paint as it will remove any paint it contacts. The fit is not that great either, shaving and grinding areas to get things to go together correctly is necessary. The complete piece with lenses will set you back just under 700 bucks where a good replating and lens polishing should cost just under 500. The bottom line, in my opinion, is to get your original replated by a quality plating service. You won`t be sorry.

Check this out, there`s a member here that can replate your dash- http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=50746

I can do these far cheaper than a repop and about 150 less than others can. I only charge 375 for complete deal. dash lenses and glove box panel. No problems with paint adhesion either.

I just recently did one for Ryan426 and he was very pleased. He posted it here a short while back.

duster 030.jpg
duster 027.jpg

duster 030.jpg

duster 027.jpg

Please clarify for me what you're offering here..........

Are you sending the units out to be replated, then finishing the detailing yourself, or are you actually offering the plating as well?

I like what I see in the picture.........Let me know more details. Doc 8)

Thanks, I'm offering the plating as well. No time is wasted on sending them out. I can usually have a dash completed and returned in 3 to 4 weeks.

yep very nice job i was pleased on how it came out and only a fraction of wut others charge i didnt need to send out my gauges mine were fine, and i just bought the woodgrain and put it all back together and i think i had mine back within 3 weeks :-D:-D:-D

-
Back