Rallye Dash Conversion Question

-

67cudaGuy

Reaction score
Hey, I'm currently switching my 1972 duster standard dash to a rallye dash, and I have everything set up except the switched 12v source (gauge feed). As the 1972 cars dont have this wire I'm wondering where I can get this power source from, I'm thinking the ignition but I want to make sure this will work. I'm going off this diagram bellow, and K is the wire I'm looking to source, thanks

download.jpg

I can't read your diagram, but if you need "switched" 12V use the wire originally feeding the original cluster. where the curser is pointing at top pin of connector That wire of course does not actually feed the gauges, but rather the instrument limiter/ regulator

Wire G5-20DBL

switched.jpg

Last edited:
I would search for posts by 72bluNblu, used the keyword "dash" or something. He converted his car and posted the wiring changes he made several times.

On my car I added an extra fuse to the fuse block. Some of the AC and higher accessory cars came with an extra fuse on the switched side of the fuse block. My car is a non-AC, no lighting package car so I used an AC car fuse block as a donor and put the additional fuse holder into my block. So it has this green wire with an original 3 terminal plug that comes off the switched side that I ran to my "K" terminal in the gauge plug. It also runs the switched power to my stereo and my A/F gauge if I remember right. I just wanted a cleaner solution than splicing into another switched wire. It's funny because so often you see stereo's and stuff just hacked into a wire or soldered to the fuse block or something and on a lot of cars there's this light green wire with a 3 terminal plug that is either totally unused or only used for like one thing just hanging out under the dash. It's not in the wiring schematics though because they're pretty generic and don't show some of the various accessory harnesses exactly the way they're wired. But it's switched 12v power.

That schematic for switching the round gauge connector from a standard cluster to a rally cluster is actually mine, if that's the biggest version you have please download the PDF attached below so you can actually read it.

Attachments

• Rally-standard.pdf
    44.4 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
All I can add is NOT all rally dashes are the same. I redid my 67 barracuda dash harness and found out 68/9 (and more) are different.

All I can add is NOT all rally dashes are the same. I redid my 67 barracuda dash harness and found out 68/9 (and more) are different.

Correct. There were minor wiring changes between the different years of the rallye gauges. A lot of that was just the position of the wires in the connector though. Even in my schematic between the rallye dash I used and the standard 1974 dash wiring you can see that a lot of the wires were still color coded correctly, they were just in different places in the connector. Temp gauge wire was still violet, fuel gauge wire was still blue, dash lights were orange etc.

I think my rallye dash/circuit board was 68 or 69 though. As I'm sure you know '67 was kind of an odd ball year that had a lot of "one offs".

Yes some differences were minor, but some(for me I believe) had to deal with the steering column connector etc where there were wires paired together with "different" connectors.
Correct. There were minor wiring changes between the different years of the rallye gauges. A lot of that was just the position of the wires in the connector though. Even in my schematic between the rallye dash I used and the standard 1974 dash wiring you can see that a lot of the wires were still color coded correctly, they were just in different places in the connector. Temp gauge wire was still violet, fuel gauge wire was still blue, dash lights were orange etc.

I think my rallye dash/circuit board was 68 or 69 though. As I'm sure you know '67 was kind of an odd ball year that had a lot of "one offs".

Yes some differences were minor, but some(for me I believe) had to deal with the steering column connector etc where there were wires paired together with "different" connectors.

A '67 thing maybe? I'd say it was an ignition key in the dash thing but that didn't change until '70 right? And I know my rallye cluster is pre-'70 as it has the extra toggle switch that disappeared later.

I didn't have to touch the steering column connector at all, literally the only thing for the dash wiring was switching the plugs in the round gauge connector and adding the separate 3 terminal connector for the turn signals and high beams, but that connector just uses doubled wires out of the connector on the later harness.

*edit*
Actually, I take that back. I also had to change the connectors on the heater switch and something else. That was because of the 73+ change to the heater switch and controls. But that wasn't really a schematic change, it was just a connector layout change.

Last edited:
-
Back