rallye dash help

-

mike stas

Reaction score
does anyone know how to remove the rallye cluster from a 1971 dodge demon.
I removed all the screws and it still tight . I'm afraid if I start to pry it might snap.
Looking for the trick to remove

This is for a '72 demon with standard dash but I think it would be similar. Easiest to lower the steering column so that it will drop toward the seat. Unhook the speedometer cable. If you can reach under the dash remove the light switch harness connection . If not you may be able to pull the cluster toward you slightly enough to unplug all connections as you go.
Yote

Remove the column cover,drop the column some,the dash heater switch assy (two 7/16 nuts and an allen wrench for the slider bezels),radio,speedo cable, then reach up above the cluster in the back and pull the harness down out of the securing loops.

These type procedures are detailed in factory service manuals and most of those are free downloads at mymopar.com. That manual will be you best tool today and tomorrow.

Thanks Guys. I looked at the steering column and it's hard to believe by dropping the column down it will free the cluster.
I'm trying to restore the plastic facing, not to dismantle the whole dash. Seems like a lot of work just to restore the facing.
I went to my mopar. Nothing on taking the dash apart on 71 72 dodge demons.

Went back to my mopar .com just to double check their manuals. nothing about the dash in dodge or plymouths

Like mentioned!

Remove the negative battery cable first and foremost!

Remove the screws to dash frame. Remove the headlight stem and nut as well the wiper and flasher switch nuts. Remove the under column dash trim and loosen all three nuts that keep the column up. You will likely have to loosen the column to firewall mounts as well. It needs to drop a couple of inches. You can likely partially remove the cluster at this point. The HVAC controls and wiring will keep from total removal until you either unhook the cables or reach behind and remove 2 - 3/8 mounting bolts that hold it to the backside and disconnect the harnesess connectors. A manual really helps or get a friend that has done it before!

EG: 71 Plymouth chassis manual, page 8-63, 64, and onwards, "Instrument Cluster"

cluster1.jpg

cluster2.jpg

The entire cluster has to come out before you can remove the bezel, which is fastened though the the back!

-
Back