Rallye green

-

GTSDustin

Reaction score
My dad is restoring a rallye green 69 road runner. we cant seem to find the right color anywhere? Anybody know the paint code or where we could find it? Already called dupont and looked at color charts at napa. thanks!

I believe it was a mid year special which made the paint code 999 which is shared by a few other colors as well. Very nice color by the way, it's my favorite green

I had a '69 Road Runner way back in the day. It had 99 for the paint code and I always referred to it as Rallye Green which appeared to be the same color (or very close to) GMs Rallye Green in '69.
I always thought F6 (shown in the chart above, with the Dupont paint code 4987D) and 99 or 999 Rallye Green were different colors. The 1969 paint code chart in the first link lists both F6 and 999. F6 is called Bright Green Metallic and 999 is called Rallye Green. I wouldn't think it would list 2 different codes with different names if they were the same color.
Also, the F6 chip in my '69 color chart did not match my Road Runner but the GM color was very close.
I'm pretty sure I saw a thread about this on another forum awhile back. It might be a good idea to do a bit more research just to be sure as my memory is getting worse. :banghead: (That probably isn't helping. lol)
BTW, the D suffix after the Dupont number stood for Dulux synthetic enamel. L was for Lucite laquer, and A was for Centari acrylic enamel.
Dallas

I did a little digging around and found this info;

Controversy The Fact: Code F6, Bright Green Metallic for Dodge A- and B-Bodies was first mentioned in TSB D69-23-9, dated November 27, 1968. Some sources claimed that Code 97 Rallye Green is also F6 Bright Green Metallic, but the PPG/Ditzler paint numbers are different: 2103 (F6-Bright Green Metallic) and 44032 (97-Rallye Green). The numbers from Ditzler prove that Rallye Green and Bright Green Metallic were different. Additionally, a Chrysler-issued bulletin dated January 22, 1969, listed Ditzler #43898-Rallye Green for '69 Plymouth B-Bodies (Code 99). This is the same number as the catalogued '68 Chevrolet color of Rallye Green Metallic!
As it turns out, through 1968 Ditzler used a five-digit number to identify paint colors. Typically, Ditzler used the numeral "4" as a prefix for green hues. Beginning in 1969, Ditzler went to a four-digit numbering system; however, some five-digit catalog numbers were carried over. The catalog number "2103"-for F6 Bright Green Metallic-was issued during the '69 model year-and no sooner-for '69 Dodge A- and B-Bodies. The code "44032"-Code 97 Rallye Green-was the highest five digit number Ditzler issued for passenger car applications. It was assigned to give Chrysler a specific factory application number in the Ditzler paint books. Ditzler code "43898" is currently cataloged for '68-'69 Chevrolets only.
The actual formula used to create Rallye Green for Plymouth in 1969 was the same formula used for the 1968 Chevrolet-Rallye Green Metallic.
This was not the only time a Chrysler product wore General Motors paint-the '70 Chrysler 300-Hurst's Sauterne Gold Iridescent accents were taken from the '70 Cadillac palette.

Hope this helps,
Dallas

I had to read couple times lol, but helps very much. And I really appreciate it! Thats interesting that 68 camaros wore the same paint!

I had to read couple times lol, but helps very much. And I really appreciate it! Thats interesting that 68 camaros wore the same paint!

Yeah, it takes some concentration! I read it a few times myself before I posted it. You notice it states that '68 Camaros had the same color. I was thinking it was the '69s but my memory is getting a little bad. Maybe all the paint fumes are starting to get to me. :D
Dallas

LOL could be! And we found the paint! Its actually says 68-79 chevrolet right on the can. We matched it up with some preserved spots thats left on the car, If its not it I dont know what is lol. Thanks for your help Dallas!

-
Back