Random pictures thread

-
My neighbor always bringing home odd stuff

della.jpg

Lifted this off the NOAA site. The hazy area from Maine down the East coast to Florida, I'm pretty sure is smoke from the Canadian wildfires. It was really obvious here in NC that day. I could smell the burnt wood and the sun had a dull orange glow.

NOAA JUL 18 2023.jpg

I've mentioned this before but, I was about 8 yrs old and learned they laid eggs on the underside of Milkweed. So I would hunt in the big field across from our house. Finally i found one with an egg on it. I "raised" it thru all its phases, chrysalis was very cool. Then let it go once it was a butterfly. The one in the pic was in neighbours front yard...I wanted so bad to take it to show our grandkids its phases it goes thru, but it's gone now. I'll keep looking lol
Monarch butterfly caterpillar

I've mentioned this before but, I was about 8 yrs old and learned they laid eggs on the underside of Milkweed. So I would hunt in the big field across from our house. Finally i found one with an egg on it. I "raised" it thru all its phases, chrysalis was very cool. Then let it go once it was a butterfly. The one in the pic was in neighbours front yard...I wanted so bad to take it to show our grandkids its phases it goes thru, but it's gone now. I'll keep looking lol
Screw that. You need to show them the phases that barracuda restorations go through. :poke:.
Okay not really, I’m sure they would dig that.

We have very little lawn in front (and working on the back, now), more like a forest/botanical garden...my wife keeps several types of milkweed going for monarchs!

Hard to imagine, but they fly to Mexico to “over winter” for about 4 months. They have a large sanctuary for them there. There is a pine tree under the Monarchs in the photo.
IMG_6762.jpeg

Was out of town for 7 days and came back to this! How dare hornets build their house on mine!! They ended up having a really bad day. Lost their home!!
IMG_20230724_224241.jpg

-
Back