Random stalling while driving or coming to a stop... 340 4 spd. holley carb

-

mccula

Reaction score
Hi guys. Well after the driveshaft seperated itself from the rear end on the PA turnpike at 70 mph :angry7:, the car sat a little. We got a new U-Joint and reinstalled the driveshaft and all was well. After about an hour of driving today, the car started randomly stalling, kinda sputtering before stalling. If you kept on the gas, it would usually sputter and then run normal however. It wasn't a constant thing, rather it was intermittent but it happened probably 4 or 5 times. Any thought what might cause this? It's a 340 with a 650cfm holley carb and it's a 4 spd. The last time we timed it was during the winter, would that affect it?
The plug wires are all new and I can't see anything visually wrong with the carb, and the carb was professionally rebulit not too long ago either. Maybe a vacuum leak? It was pretty hot here today though, so maybe the fuel was vaporizing out of the carb? I don't know. any help is GREATLY appreciated.
-Jon

well the last drive shaft i kicked out did allot of damage (bent some fuel line .brake line and pushed the bottom of the gas tank up)so I Guess maybe i would start checking stuff like that.if it started after the shaft came out..I know this isn't much help but that was my experience that was with my first car.know I run a drive shaft loop in everything..hope this helps..Artie

nah, there wouldn't be any water in the fuel. it sat inside, and it only sat for maybe a month tops. When I was under the car I didn't see anything out of the ordinary, but I'll look again. Any other suggestions?

try some seafoam in the gas and to clean the carb really well when the car is running pour some down the carb but be ready for some white smoke out the exhaust.

clean the needle and seat in the carb.

make sure the rubber hose from the tank sending unit to the hard line is not cracked.

check the plugs though...they might tell ya something, like if they are black/sooty-too much fuel=needle and seat or coil/ignition going out.

Have you checked the level on the carb float? Even with the carb rebuilt this could need a little adjusting...

-
Back