Rats! Lost my reluctor roll pin!

-

Bill Crowell

Reaction score
Since the instructions tell you to be sure not to lose it, of course I did the opposite. I've looked all over for it. Not a sign of it. Those things sure can hide.

Gonna have to make a trip to Napa Auto to buy a new one.

You're supposed to use a roll pin punch to install it, right? Trying to install it with a normal tapered punch looks pretty sketchy to me.

There are two register slots on the reluctor for the roll pin. Am I correct that you put the pin into the register slot that places the "direction of rotation" arrow near the pickup?

found this photo. can not vouch for its validity. I would think the FSM would show or say. (Im a points guy still)

upload_2020-6-7_8-30-56.png

Now that I look at this, it is the same picture!

Since the instructions tell you to be sure not to lose it, of course I did the opposite. I've looked all over for it. Not a sign of it. Those things sure can hide.

Gonna have to make a trip to Napa Auto to buy a new one.

You're supposed to use a roll pin punch to install it, right? Trying to install it with a normal tapered punch looks pretty sketchy to me.

There are two register slots on the reluctor for the roll pin. Am I correct that you put the pin into the register slot that places the "direction of rotation" arrow near the pickup?

For smalll block the pin goes in the slot with the direction arrow and usually two lines.
Where the reluctor lines up with the pickup on assy doesn't matter as long as the pin is in the right place.

IMG_1205.JPG

Look on the pickup. Sometimes the magnet will grab it and it will stick to the pickup.

Ace Hardware has a good selection. Menards has a lot of that king of stuff as well.

Bill, make DARN SURE that roll pin isn't in the distributor.

-
Back