Re-arching Leaf Spring question

-

67CudaBob

Reaction score
Car is a 67 Dart Convertible - 273/904/7.25. Leaf springs sag, passenger worse than driver. We have a local shop here known for their work, and I am pulling them tonight to have them re-arched.

My question is this - are the springs the same for either side from the factory, or are they different? I know the high performance cars were different for launch torque, but what about the standard models?

I want the car to sit level (left to right), and ever so slightly raked (back to front), so my plan is to tell them to put an equal arch in both springs (assuming the springs are the same). if someone knows something different about getting her to sit level, please help.

Side note, I will be putting in an 8.75 next year - do my leaf springs care what axle and rear end are in the car (i.e. will that change the stance at all)?

Thanks FABO

I believe they are the same. 67's should actually have the part number cast / stamped on the last leaf, if original. Axle makes no difference in ride height.

Have you checked the price of re-arcing vs new.. I was shocked at the re-arcing price,, and pretty sure I can purchase new for less..

hope it helps

The shop said the re-arch would run about $225-250. I saw some cheap Springs out there, but was unsure of quality as there were also some pricey ones. This shop is highly regarded in Minnesota as the place to go, so I have faith in them which is worth something to me. In the Internet world we live in, it is still nice to shake a guys hand that I do business with once in a while.

Bob, you must be talking about Kremer Spring, no??? They are about 3 miles from me. Let me know how it goes as I will probably need to do the the same at some point.

If the spring shop doesn't have an oven (furnace) to heat he springs before re-arching it won't help you. If they just use a press to re-arch (cold springs) they will start to sag again very quickly. They must be heated to a certain temperature for the spring material to reset. New springs don't cost that much more and you can get them arched to any height you desire.

Treblig

Do a search,, not long ago, within 14 mo.s,, a member was considering same,, and found really decent, name brand springs for less than IIRC $150.. certainly less than $200 .

hope it helps

If the spring shop doesn't have an oven (furnace) to heat he springs before re-arching it won't help you. If they just use a press to re-arch (cold springs) they will start to sag again very quickly.

This^^^^^

Another option is to add another main leaf to the spring pack. Get one that's close to the right length from a salvage yard and cut the front/rear eyelets off. Install it right below the main leaf. That should get you back up to stock height or a little above.

I have the exact same setup in my 67 Barracuda. The leaf springs are sagging and again the right is worst than the left side. The right side is to the point the right rear is almost arched the other way. I figure it's about a wash nowadays with new springs or re-arching..... I can have re-arched American steel or new chinese steel.

I will verify they have a furnace. If I was sagging equally, I would consider adding another spring. I am open to shopping more for new, but need some input as to who is good. I am open to suggestions on a quality spring source - I am not opposed to going new.

I will verify they have a furnace. If I was sagging equally, I would consider adding another spring. I am open to shopping more for new, but need some input as to who is good. I am open to suggestions on a quality spring source - I am not opposed to going new.

Many shops just put your springs in a big hydraulic press and re-bend them while they are cold...it won't last. What makes spring material "remember" is when they are bent when hot. I bought my "NEW" Barracuda rear springs from McVeighs Truck Spring Inc. Phone 989-826-3682. I paid (two years ago) $200 plus $52 for shipping for both spring with a 3" lift. All bushing included!!

As you can see two years later they are still high enough to fit some 295-15 tires under the car with room to spare.

Treblig

Attachments

• DSC01623.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 358
  • DSC01625.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 341
Shoot - I just called and it is a "Cold" Re-Arching. Looks like we are going new!

Treblig-

Every time I see your posts, I think of my last Mopar and miss it badly - see link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nzvgfyqdkwjwv9k/Cuda in Driveway.jpg

Damn!!!!!!!! That's looks a lot like my Barracuda. I feel your pain...LOL. I owned a primer gray '67 Fastback in 1975 and I loved it, I was in the military (E3) and had fun racing it. It had a 273 4 speed and it was a total DOG!!! I told myself that someday I would get another Barracuda and make it better, faster and "cooler" than my old one. Well it took 40 years BUT I did it.
All you got to do is buy one and make it yours!!!

treblig

Point to consider... A slant 6 engine works the heck out of a right front torsion bar. As that right bar and corner go down, the left rear goes up. Regardless what engine it would be wise to have a close look at everything suspension related before buying anything.

Glad your getting new ones, ESPO seems to be the place to go, +1" 6 leaf, real popular.

Springs and things in central pa. Real good to deal with and reasonable. 800-903-9019 they have schackles bolts everything you need.

I can vouch for McVeigh springs. Bought a set 5 years ago for my '71 off ebay. Got the added leaf version for an additional 3" lift. They gave me the exact rake I wanted, fit perfect & haven't dropped a bit in 5 years. When they arrived they were drop shipped from Philadelphia Spring(it appears McVeigh is only a middle man- BSW) only about 20 miles from my house. Idk if they were actually made in Philly, but it is quite possible.
They cost me about $230 with shipping. Included bushings. I'd buy them again.

Contacted both ESPO and McVeigh requesting quotes, I will let you all know how they compare. Thank you all for the input - you saved me from a cold re-arch, AND likely saved me some money. Nothing better for this hobby than the folks at FABO!

Both McVeigh and ESPO got back to me in the first hour of business this morning and both were competitively priced - McVeigh quoted a +2-1/2 on my doorstep for $269.

ESPO offered stock 5 spring ($165), or stock 6 spring ($225). Then an adder of $30 to go +1 on either, and $40 to go +2 on either one.

Now to pick which one! (Starting a new post - calling out for some pics of convertible stances)

Both McVeigh and ESPO got back to me in the first hour of business this morning and both were competitively priced - McVeigh quoted a +2-1/2 on my doorstep for $269.

ESPO offered stock 5 spring ($165), or stock 6 spring ($225). Then an adder of $30 to go +1 on either, and $40 to go +2 on either one.

Now to pick which one! (Starting a new post - calling out for some pics of convertible stances)

Glad we could help!!!!!!!!!:blob:

Treblig

-
Back