Re-labeling a bakelite'62 Valiant/Lancer dashboard knob

-

Bill Crowell

Reaction score
So the '62 Valiant/Lancer dashboard was a "one-year only" design, and knobs are almost impossible to find. The '62 dash uses two small, brown bakelite knobs (attachment), one on each side of the dashboard. The one on the left is on the transmission park lever (labeled "Park"), and the one on the right is on the heater control lever ("Warm"). The labels are engraved in white. My "park" knob is totally trashed, but I was able to find a "warm" knob that is pristine. Any ideas about how I could re-label the "warm" knob to say "park" instead? Thanks!

Valiant dash.jpg

knob.jpg

Later edit: I have been informed by National Mo-Parts that some of the dash knobs, etc. from the '62 Valiant, such as the "park" and "warm" knobs, were also used in '63, but I am not sure exactly which ones, or if the bezels are the same.

Last edited:
Is the lettering engraved or embosses.

Looks like all you wid need to do is convert the "W" to a "P" and the "M" to a "K"

If the lettering is engraved you might be able to fill the 2 letters with epoxy, and CAREFULLY carve the 2 new letters.

Paint the knob black and highlight with white in the letters.

If the letters are embossed you could have all 4 letters machined off and have a set of letters on a backing machined or 3D printed and glue them in the space.

An alternative is to have someone make you some replacements by 3D printing. The material would not be Bakelite and they would have to use your originals to take dimensions for programming the machine. The originals would be returned without being damaged. I don’t know what the cost would be.

I don't think it would be possible to reproduce the knob by 3-D printing because it has a quite irregularly-shaped slot in the back, designed to retain within the knob the spring clip that holds it on the lever.

I don't think it would be possible to reproduce the knob by 3-D printing because it has a quite irregularly-shaped slot in the back, designed to retain within the knob the spring clip that holds it on the lever.
Post photos.

There are things that can be 3D printed that can not be machined.

Also your not thinking outside the box. Perhaps a setscrew could be added or other device to retain it to the shaft.

So the '62 Valiant/Lancer dashboard was a "one-year only" design, and knobs are almost impossible to find. The '62 dash uses two small, brown bakelite knobs (attachment), one on each side of the dashboard. The one on the left is on the transmission park lever (labeled "Park"), and the one on the right is on the heater control lever ("Warm"). The labels are engraved in white. My "park" knob is totally trashed, but I was able to find a "warm" knob that is pristine. Any ideas about how I could re-label the "warm" knob to say "park" instead? Thanks!

View attachment 1715925322

View attachment 1715925323

Is this what you are looking for?

Call and ask for Nigel. Great people to deal with!
This part shows in stock.

$30.00 US

logo.png

1962_63_Plymouth_5fe25a50e301e.jpg

Is this what you are looking for?

Call and ask for Nigel. Great people to deal with!
This part shows in stock.

$30.00 US

View attachment 1715925572

View attachment 1715925573

Thank you so much, sir! Nigel didn't happen to be working today, but I spoke to Dave instead and arranged to buy it. I didn't even know that National Mo-Parts existed! I really appreciate it. And I agree with you, Dave was very nice to me, so it seems like they are very good to deal with! (In case anybody is interested, the part no. for this knob is 2258495.)

My "park" knob is totally trashed
I see you got a knob, if you want send me the bad park knob and I'll see what I can do to duplicate it. If the park and warm are identical I could make one knob and swap in the correct text. I do reverse engineering for a living. I would send your bad one back when I'm done.

PM me if you are Intrested.

Thank you so much, sir! Nigel didn't happen to be working today, but I spoke to Dave instead and arranged to buy it. I didn't even know that National Mo-Parts existed! I really appreciate it. And I agree with you, Dave was very nice to me, so it seems like they are very good to deal with! (In case anybody is interested, the part no. for this knob is 2258495.)

No problem Bill!

Glad you got what you needed.

Your turn to help the next guy LOL !

Pay it forward..

-
Back