Re-splining C body axles

-

ragtopfury

Reaction score
Have these from a 69 C body. Are they the good ones that are able to be shortened to stock A body length and re-splined?
20170201_143628.jpg

I don't think so. It looks like after the splines they neck down too much. I might be mistaken, but the best ones to shorten and re-spline are the 71-up B Body wagons and truck axles. There are a few regular C Body axles that will work but don't remember which ones they are (maybe Imperials?).

Yeah, with custom axles priced pretty cheap now, Id seriously weigh the costs between the machine shop price and custom lengths from Yukon or others. If your track is more narrow than 2X The neck down portion, you could use them, just dont use the tapered early ones.

Contacted Cass. Dr Diff is the direction I'm going. Was going to do it this coming week, but my social coordinator reminded me about the wisdom teeth Jake is losing on Thursday and the tonsils will be coming out of my 6 yr old little girl the following week. Gonna have to wait for tax returns now....... such is life.

I think you need minimum of 28" from the outside of the flange to the neck down area to use this in an a body 8-3/4. I sent mine UPS to Moser on a Tuesday afternoon. Next morning they called me to confirm what brakes I was using. (10 x 2-1/2 in my case) mine still had good ol Timken bearings so when I had them back a couple days later I was ready to go. I'm not a fan of Green bearings.
Total price was slightly over a hundred bucks. When you put them side by side with the a body axles, there is a big difference in mass. The new splines may not be hardened but for my use they've been perfectly fine for the last 8 years or so. BTW, it added exactly 3/8" per side to the track width.
Call Mosers and talk to them if you're looking for a cheaper solution.

Last edited:
I think you need minimum of 28" from the outside of the flange to the neck down area to use this in an a body 8-3/4. I sent mine ups to Moses on a Tuesday afternoon.
Moses?!? That'll take forever!! Lol, sorry, couldn't pass on that one..........
I'm not a fan of green bearings either, if you driving an automatic & rolling on street tires the re-splined c-body units work fine. If You're dumping the clutch & banging gears &
running DOT cheaters or real slicks...they'll twist off the ends, then you'll have to cut the back of the housing open with a torch and burn the axle apart just outside the carrier
so You can get the whole damn thing back apart............................then buy suitable axles and rebuild your carrier................................

Not sure if those will work. Some are long enough and some aren't. I agree with the guys that say it's not worth it. I priced having some done and it wasn't much more to buy new axles from Dr. Diff and their a lot stronger than cut down resplined stock axles

Re splining stock axles works great if your application is stock. Buy the new axles and move on. Waste of time with re spline. Friend of mine twisted the splines on his axles re splined by moser in the late 90's. You'll always worry about it with power adders or big blocks. Hot small blocks. ect........

I'm Goin with Dr Diff. After paying on Jakes wisdom teeth last week and for Jessica's tonsils later this month, I'm waiting until my tax return gets here.

I twisted and broke the re splined axles that came in my duster with street tires.I had to sacrifice an A body 8.75 to get my chunk out of it. My friends duster also twisted the splines. Kim

-
Back