Read my Plugs

-
Way rich and possibly even too cold of a plug.
Find out why it's running so rich and then see how the temp on the plugs look.

Attachments

• plugs.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 306
Way rich and possibly even too cold of a plug.
Find out why it's running so rich and then see how the temp on the plugs look.

Greg,good notes.. Does he have a MSD ,or some kind of CDI ignition? If not,you're dead on...

Greg,good notes.. Does he have a MSD ,or some kind of CDI ignition? If not,you're dead on...

Whatever it is it's not burning all the fuel it's getting.
Looks like a it came out of an engine that gets about 10 miles to the gallon, if that.

70 383hp
284-484/484 cam
Holley 600

pertronix 3 billet distributor multispark

Coil?

That thing either has a real weak spark or a few jet sizes too big in the carb.
I could be wrong on this part, but I thought a 600 was too small for a big block.

Nice picture of various plugs Trailbeast. I've never seen that one before.

To the OP, look on 4 seconds flat for some insightful tips on plug reading. It's somewhat of a lost art what with wideband sensors being so relatively inexpensive these days.

Looks like my old plugs. My ignition was messed up. I was trying to get this crate motor set up and I was lost. I'm a beginner, over my head. Found out, I had to get the ignition right before moving to the carb.. This is for a street car.

I called Don at 4 seconds flat. I have a mopar dist. so I sent it to him. He set it up, vacuum can and advance springs, and he told me where to time it. Uses the manifold vacuum port, not ported vacuum, for the vacuum advance. I like it, some people don't.

Plugs cleaned right up.

I like a vacuum advance and I don't like MSD, I think their tech line sucks. No orange box for me, but I needed something so I kept it simple, bought the HRR688, I call it the white box, kit W/coil, uses no ballast resistor.

You may not need any kit, I'm just telling you my set up. Plugs are CLEAN.
Because of my cam I had lower than normal vacuum.
I also recommend Don.
Hope something here helps someone.

HERE'S SOME INFO. IF YOU LIKE. fORGET THE CHEBBY PART.

http://chevellestuff.net/tech/articles/vacuum/port_or_manifold.htm

Check your manifold vacuum and replace power valve as necessary....

Probably a 4.5 will help... How many turns on the idle screws?

what number plugs?They seem a little rich but not awful, in previous posts you said 30 deg. total adv. not enough seems 36 or 38 would be better but need heat range .

bought my distributor from don at 4 seconds flat he set it up for my cam gears tires stall etc
at idle 900 got around 11 inch vaccumm out of gear not sure on in gear yet will try to check tonight
Plugs are 876

You want a power valve rated about 2" lower than what you have at idle in gear. If your primary jetting is on, your idle screws should trim out between 2 and 4 turns give or take a little. You may also be exposing your transfer slot trying to idle with that cam. You can either adjust the secondary stop screw to get a little more air so you can back off the idle stop screw or drill small bypass holes in your primary throttle plates. If you have the idle screws at 1/2 turn or less it is likely the transfer slots are exposed or you have a leaking power valve.

Those look kindof like mine did when I was running the 292/508 in my 367Eddie-headed streeter. Extended Idle-time, and low-speed operation did that to mine.They never misfired and cleaned up on a power-run,( Accel SuperCoil;the big ugly one.)
Currently I'm running Copper Champions;like 12s IIRC. I bought a new set to put in, in the 3rd or 4th summer. That was about 2004ish. But they're still in the glovebox.My engine seems to be happy with those.Maybe this year.

Must be wrong number 876 is a marine plug wrong reach, look on the porcelain maybe rj12yc or rj14yc or something like that.With that cam expect low vacuum.

70 383hp
284-484/484 cam
Holley 600

pertronix 3 billet distributor multispark

What compression? Champions suck and I only run NGK`s so your compression will tell us which plug you need...............And you don`t gauge a p/v on vacuum in gear bs it`s 2-3 in below steady state cruise then adjust from there. I can fix that carb just like the many before it..........

What compression? Champions suck and I only run NGK`s so your compression will tell us which plug you need...............And you don`t gauge a p/v on vacuum in gear bs it`s 2-3 in below steady state cruise then adjust from there. I can fix that carb just like the many before it..........

Everything but NGK sucks. :D

The least problems and best running plugs I have used in anything ever.
(Including sports cars, boats, equipment, dirt and street bikes)

-
Back