Rear Axle Questions...

-

Ruger64

Reaction score
I was under my 71 Valiant today, "still new to me".
I am going to plan on changing my rear end oil.

What weight should I use? slant six, automatic.

Also,,,what size is that odd shaped torx looking nut?

And,,I do see some oil leakage around where the driveshaft hooks onto the rear axle. Is there a seal there I can replace? Theres nothing on the floor, but it looks wet around it.

Use 75W90 gear lube. Sorry I have never worked on a 7-1/4 rear so I don't know the size of the plug. The leaking seal your referring to is the pinion seal. The only hard part to changing it is getting the pinion nut loose and tight again as the yoke will want to turn when you do it because it's torqued to 240 ft. lbs. They make a yoke holder tool that makes the job a lot easier. Another thing to note is the seal isn't always the reason for a leak. A lot of the time a groove wears in the yoke where the seal rides so a new seal won't stop the leak. If it's not dripping or making a mess I wouldn't worry about it.

Use 75W90 gear lube. Sorry I have never worked on a 7-1/4 rear so I don't know the size of the plug. The leaking seal your referring to is the pinion seal. The only hard part to changing it is getting the pinion nut loose and tight again as the yoke will want to turn when you do it because it's torqued to 240 ft. lbs. They make a yoke holder tool that makes the job a lot easier. Another thing to note is the seal isn't always the reason for a leak. A lot of the time a groove wears in the yoke where the seal rides so a new seal won't stop the leak. If it's not dripping or making a mess I wouldn't worry about it.

I will grab some 75w/90 while I am out, and of course a gasket. Theres nothing on the ground, but it is very wet. Like almost ready to drip. if that made sense. I hope it is just a seal. I never done that type of work.

:worthles:

I will grab some photos later today, so it shows the leak.

Use a half inch size drive end to take off the drain plug. Yep, that sounds like the pinion seal. Not too bad to fix, but the pinion nut is TIGHT!
I have the plate type tool that mounts to the yoke - you can borrow mine.

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/axleyoketool.html

Oh Okay! I seen that torx style, and should have tried a 1/2 inch but my brain stopped working. Thanks for the tool offer. I have to decide wether to do it. I never done that before.

If the yoke has some grooves in it, go to Napa and get a micro sleeve, tap it over the yoke seal surface and then put in a new seal, problem solved.

If the yoke has some grooves in it, go to Napa and get a micro sleeve, tap it over the yoke seal surface and then put in a new seal, problem solved.

Can you share more about this 'micro sleeve'?

Sure. It's a sleeve that fits REALLY TIGHT on the yoke and you use a board and hammer to tap in over the worn yoke. This wiil make the o.d. of the yoke ever so slightly bigger than a new un-used yoke and will provide you with a new surface for the seal to seal against. Napa has them, they may have in stock or need to order it and the price is around 20 bucks last time I got one.

See if this link works auctionworks.com/storefrontprofiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sid=1&...

We used to call them "Speedi sleeves" I think both are brand names, 'Speedi Sleeve' is a brand name of Chicago Rawhide. I spose "shaft repair sleeve" would be the generic name

Also, oil on these yokes, or the front balancer, can leak past the SHAFT and out the nut. Clean the yoke and shaft really good, and smear a SMALL amount of sealer on one or the other.

Speedi Sleeves are thin and delicate. Take care to get it started "square."

You use those if there is a groove in the yoke wher the seal lip rides.
One thing about them is you raelly should use red locktite when you put them on (if it wasn't mentioned yet)

Hey fishy68,
Have you ever taken the spring out of a seal and shorten it to make the seal tighter around the shaft?
It works.
Take the spring out and unscrew it from itself,cut a 1/4 in off the OD end and screw it back into it'self.
Just curious if you have ever done it.

Sometimes all it takes is the smallest groove for it to not seal. I had one that wasn't pitted in the slightest and only had a groove about .015" deep and it wouldn't seal for nothing.

Hey fishy68,
Have you ever taken the spring out of a seal and shorten it to make the seal tighter around the shaft?
It works.
Take the spring out and unscrew it from itself,cut a 1/4 in off the OD end and screw it back into it'self.
Just curious if you have ever done it.

No I haven't. Sounds like it should work.

Been doin it for decades when there is no other real solution, or to get something by for a few more months and sometimes years.

Try it on something sometime just for kicks.

-
Back