Rear band pin seal

-

DWinTX

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm building my first 727. Got all of the sub assemblies cleaned and rebuilt and I'm putting it back together. I'm assembling the rear band apply assembly. Go to look in my rebuild kit for the pin seal/o-ring. The one that was in it is square, profile-wise, but there are no square ones in my kit. The closest round one fits the pin OK, but the outside diameter is quite a bit larger as you can see in the pic.

I tried to install it, but it doesn't want to go. Lubed it and the bore up, tried squeezing it in with a small screwdriver, but it just seems too big. I'm afraid to push it harder with the screwdriver for fear of gouging it.

Is this supposed to be the o-ring I use, or was the kit missing the correct one? It's a 65 transmission, if that makes a difference.

Attachments

• DSCN1274.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 112
The reason the fitted O-Ring was square in profile is because it is worn & taken on the profile of the sealing area in the case. The fatter O-Ring in the picture is not for the low/rev band lever pivot shaft. Check your overhaul kit again to see if the correct O-Ring is hiding in one of the seals in the kit. I've seen this on numerous occasions. They often get stuck in the speedometer drive seal or the shift shaft seal in the packaging during transport.

Thanks KickDown,

There no "hidden" seals, but there is another skinnier o-ring that fits the pin, sort of. Doesn't fill up the slot in the pin very well, but it extends out about the right amount to fit snugly in the bore without being difficult to get in.

I'll go with that and see if it seals properly. I'm building the engine too and I'm going to run them on an test stand before I install them, so if it leaks I can fix it outside of the car.

You could also put RTV in/around that groove and then install it. Even with the right o-ring they often leak.

-
Back