Rear Brakes Missing Parts

-

steptoe

Reaction score
Help someone please. I have a '75 Dart with 10" rear drums. You wouldn't believe the sutff I have found RIGGED on this car since I bought it. The prior owner is either the world's best red neck or just plain stupid. He sure isn't a mechanic. Wiring ripped out, wipers not hooked up, no temp wire on engine, oil pressure sending unit missing, no horn, no neutral safety switch or back up lights, wrong impedence fuel tank sending unit, wrong size wheels, collasped front end, master cylinder push rod installed backwards and adjusted too long, low brake pedal, and now --- 9" brakes on 10" drums. I love it. I have everything fixed except for the emergency brake spacer bars ( I don't know their proper name) that goes between the shoes and is mounted just below the wheel cylinder. A long bar with a small spring on it. I need both bars and cannot find a source to buy them. I can't even find them in a junk yard. Can somebody please help. The car is drivable now but I would like the emergency brakes to work.

I think they're called spreader bars. SOmeone will chime in with where to find them I'm sure.

Too bad I didn't see this before my last trip to the crusher. I will look to see if i have another set.

Apparently, they are still available at NAPA and other parts stores. I remember reading a thread on here, and a part number was even supplied.
I wouldn't be suprised if 'Ma Mopar still had them. Those were generic for years.

Giles

Best I can do for you is a Raybestos H28602. Fits a lot of years and A, B, and FJM bodies. Should be a 10 incher. They are called brake spreader bars. The spring is in the hardware kit. Hope this helps.

they are called parking brake / emergency brake struts Mopar pn- 04126576 & 04126577. if you don't get the springs in the kit they are pn- UP80744 from Napa. the struts are still available from your local dealership. Adam if you see this this needs to be made into a sticky in the tech section.

brake strut0001.JPG

I saw them at the local NAPA store last week. They were on a ' help yourself ' type rotating rack with a whole mess of different types of unusual little things everybody needs but usually can't find. How's that for a description of where to find them? :angry7: :toothy10:

WOW!!!! Thanks everyone. That's gonna make my day. The only store around here that carries my old car parts is Autozone. I had no idea NAPA would have these bars. You guys know how to come thru when needed.

-
Back