Rear convertible top trim removal Q

-

65Val

Average Length Member
Reaction score
Hey gang! Getting the Dart ready for the paint shop. Whats the secret to removing the rear convertible stainless top trim? I can't remove the snaps to allow the trim to come off. There is a Phillips screw inside the "snap thingy"(technical term:toothy10:), but when I turn the screw, the screw just spins inside the snap thingy and doesn't come out of the body.

I did manage to get the one out of the pot metal connector piece...do the rest come out the same?

I even tried prying under the trim lightly while turning the screw, but no go.

Anyone else run into this?

Here's a pic of the area I'm working on....

Attachments

• Dart Vert Rear Top Trim (Small).jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 165
Yes, I had that problem with a few of them the first time I took mine apart.

It is not easy, but what happens is the slot that the threads go into, strips out, or the screws lose their threads (rust+time).

So I got a small screw driver, and pried up to put pressure on the screw, while backing them out. Since your car looks painted you might want to do as did after mine was painted. I used a combination of plastic bondo spreaders, to jam under there to put pressure on it, with out scratching the paint last time I did it.

It has been 7 years now, but I remember still having to get all animalistic on a couple of them.

You'll have to drill the screw heads away and replace those retainer clips.

Thanks guys.

Ed...The car is painted, but its going in for a repaint, which is why I want to remove that trim, so a few scratches here and there won't matter. I'll try your ideas. Thanks.

Red...I hope I dont have to resort to that, but......

Thanks again guys!

The screw doesn't actually come out of the snap, but is sort of collared to stay on but spin. When you are turning to remove, the threads will back out of the clip, but the screw will not come out of the snap. I agree that a plastic trim bar will apply pressure to the screw you are turning and allow it to back out of the clip, then go on to the next one and so on. It will take a few but it will eventually lift when 3 or 4 screws are backed out of the clips making it easier to apply pressure to the next in line. I had all the trim off Nellas 67 recently, and this is what I found to be the method for me. Good luck, Geof

The screw doesn't actually come out of the snap, but is sort of collared to stay on but spin.

10-4 on that, Geof. The whole thing wont back out from the body.

When you are turning to remove, the threads will back out of the clip, but the screw will not come out of the snap. I agree that a plastic trim bar will apply pressure to the screw you are turning and allow it to back out of the clip, then go on to the next one and so on. It will take a few but it will eventually lift when 3 or 4 screws are backed out of the clips making it easier to apply pressure to the next in line. I had all the trim off Nellas 67 recently, and this is what I found to be the method for me. Good luck, Geof

I'm going to try that method after lunch here. Thanks!

Those clips are available somewhere, right?

Well, I got the trim off. I had to pry pretty hard on some (didn't bend the trim,though), and a few I had to bend the clip enough to get it loose from the body, then chuck it in a vise and go at it. One I had to cut off with a cut-off wheel on my die-grinder (it met its match, for sure!).

So, now, the clips are available at several vendors (geez, $89????), but what about the screw/snaps? Are they available somewhere too?

Thanks all

I thought I saw the snaps for sale somewhere like R/T Specialties or Penstar Productions. If you need just a couple, I think I have eome extras that a buddy gave me when he was parting out a vert. If you need them, message and I'll see if I can find them!! Merry Christmas to all, Geof

Electron Tops should have the snaps too. Sorry I dont have the contact info handy.

The screw snaps are one of the few parts, that are actually cheaper through Marine supply places. Same ones used to attach boat covers.

At the time I did mine, I had a 21 foot Bryant, and was buying boat stuff on occaision anyway.

If I remember correctly, the stock Mopar ones are 1/2 inch, and I think I bought 3/4 inch though a Marine supply.

Thanks for the tips on the removal of the trim.....I'm getting Pam's Jamaican Blue Baby ready and had the same problem removing the snaps.

Mop

Yes, thanks for all the removal tips,guys. All came in handy.

I found the snap/screws at a local upholstery shop that does boat tops too. Got 25 stainless ones for $5.00.

Does anyone have around 6 or so of the clips that they could spare? I had to mangle some in the removal process. Not really worth buying a whole new set for. Let me know quantity and price please, and shipping to Canada.

Cheers.....

I dont need a complete set either. I need 8. Someone could buy a set and share them out at 4 bucks each. I can come up with the 32 bones for 8 of them Or I can offer 6 good used ones at 3.75 each if that will work. Just trying to help.

Hey Red...new ones are $90 for 25 clips, or $3.60 apiece. Would you go for $20 for 6 used ones ,shipped, to Canada?(would go USPS 1st Class in a padded envelope,cheap)...

...or I'd be willing to split a set with someone.

Hey Red...new ones are $90 for 25 clips, or $3.60 apiece. Would you go for $20 for 6 used ones ,shipped, to Canada?(would go USPS 1st Class in a padded envelope,cheap)...

...or I'd be willing to split a set with someone.

I'm out of the game for a while. Spent every spare dime on Christmas. Monday my dog got hit. I may be cleaning the kennel to cover that bill.
If those that owe me would pay up.... I already owe 2 members. I'll get back to you. Thanks and good luck to all

I'm out of the game for a while. Spent every spare dime on Christmas. Monday my dog got hit. I may be cleaning the kennel to cover that bill.
If those that owe me would pay up.... I already owe 2 members. I'll get back to you. Thanks and good luck to all

Ok. Would you be willing to sell me 6 of your good clips for $20 shipped? I can pay you w/PayPal.

-
Back