Rear disc conversion....

-

SRT_DSTRHOLC

Reaction score
Who has rear disc conversion on the back of their 8 3/4? Me and a friend are wondering what is needed to get a set off a jeep on to our 8 3/4s. Im staying with drums for awhile but like to plan ahead

I think there is a forum about using Jeep rear disc on an 8 3/4 and if I remember right it doesn't work but the 8 1/4 will take the swap without any problems. I think if you want rear disc check out Wilwood, Baer Racing, SSBC, etc... for the kit to do it.

Thanks thought thats what i read, that sucks...too bad no one can make the spacer thats needed.

au contraire mon faire! Check out Blue Missile's thread, he put Cherokee brakes on his 8.75 and got them to fit AND got the Cherokee parking brakes to coexist with the Duster.

Check with your local dirt track shops. You can get weld on brackets for next to nothing. Gm Metric calipers and Lincoln Versalies (spelling ?) rotors. I thnk my rear disc stuff will be under $250. Had a link to a place that sold the brackets, just can not find it....or just go to speedway http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Complete-Rear-Disc-Brake-Kits-78-88-GM-Metric-Caliper,31752.html If you look around speedways web site you will find a set of weld on brackets alone. I sent a Louis a pm with part #S and all, but I no longer have it.

DoctorDiff's kit is the best one that I've seen. It is designed to work properly with the stock axle bearings and the rotors fit the Mopar axles.

What my rear discs will consist of:
http://www.wilwood.com/MasterCylinders/MasterCylinderValves.aspx part number 260-11179, 61.50. GM metric weld on brackets, don't remember where I got them from, but I can find out, $20. GM Metric calipers, just got prices/part #'s from Rock Auto, Autospecialty/Kelsey Hayese 4082073, right side, loaded, 18.09, 4082074 left side loaded, 18.09 and rotors from a 77 Lincoln Versailles, raybestos # 6045r (right) 29.99 and 6047r (left) for 30.79. I think the total so far is 178.46. My axle has big bearing Ford Ends. But the brackets I have are welded onto the tube, so I think axle end is not important. Been a long time since I have seen an 8 3/4 rear end, but as long as it has the standard bearing retainer plates do not see why this would not work. You will be on your own for flex tubes, but a buddy told me that on one of his past cars he just used flex hoses off of a Caddy that had Metric calipers on the rear. I will not have an e-brake, but the metric calipers are available with them, just different part #s. Just checked on Rock Auto, 87 Eldorado had rear discs, so id you want E-brake those calipers are 71.79 each.....

Who has rear disc conversion on the back of their 8 3/4? Me and a friend are wondering what is needed to get a set off a jeep on to our 8 3/4s. Im staying with drums for awhile but like to plan ahead
I used a 1988 S10 4wd (bleeder off the side) caliper and a nice beefy 1995 Grand Marquis Front rotor with my own braded lines. Nice cheap if you do it yourself. one of my mechanics did mine. Brackets should be available on the net.

Attachments

• Rearend 002.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 260
  • Rearend 001.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 256
  • Rearend 003.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 251
That is pretty much what I was talking about, weld on brackets, Gm Metric calipers and rotors depend on brackets. My brackets are for 10.75 rotors, I think. Other brackets are for the larger 11.5 rotors. I know my stuff will fit into a 15" wheel. My fab guy has been doing rear discs like this for years......no real reason, for a street car, for a high $$$ aftermarket kit, at least for me. You go this route, should a caliper go bad or you trash a rotor some how it is just a trip to the auto parts store.....

I dont have a welder and the car is up north with no one I know that would help weld these on correctly. Which Is why i was looking at a direct bolt on kit.

So it looks like im going to get the disc brake setup, but I dont know which to get. Your setup looks tempting because of the price, but I dont have a welder or someone to help me weld or even for me to do it correctly.

I used a 1988 S10 4wd (bleeder off the side) caliper and a nice beefy 1995 Grand Marquis Front rotor with my own braded lines. Nice cheap if you do it yourself. one of my mechanics did mine. Brackets should be available on the net.

Can you give a bit of details on how you welded the brackets on, lined them up, where you got them etc.... did you have to do anything to the rotors to get them to fit over the hub, did you just use the regular axle flange to keep the axles in?? Thanks.

-
Back