Rear Drum Parking Brake Cable Attachment

-

340inabbody

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I have been trying like hell attaching the parking brake cable end to the lever inside the drum assembly with no luck. I can’t seem to compress the spring on the cable to allow the nut to attach to the lever.

What am i missing or doing wrong?

image.jpg

IMG_1966.jpeg

image.jpg

1) stop putting your finger in the way. lol!
2) using channel lock pliers and a pair of cut off pliers you need to hold the ball end with the channel locks and squeeze gently between them and the spring with the cut off pliers. Then pull the handles of the cut off pliers toward the channel locks. That will compress the spring a little. Tighten down more on the cutting pliers (but not enough to cut thru) then move the channel locks closer and do it again. It kinda acts like a crude wratchet. Also, make sure you brake is off.
3) if you cannot master that one then loosen up the brake cable adjusting nut u see the drivers floor.

1) stop putting your finger in the way. lol!
2) using channel lock pliers and a pair of cut off pliers you need to hold the ball end with the channel locks and squeeze gently between them and the spring with the cut off pliers. Then pull the handles of the cut off pliers toward the channel locks. That will compress the spring a little. Tighten down more on the cutting pliers (but not enough to cut thru) then move the channel locks closer and do it again. It kinda acts like a crude wratchet. Also, make sure you brake is off.
3) if you cannot master that one then loosen up the brake cable adjusting nut u see the drivers floor.
Lol Thank you. Can I do this assembled or does it need to be apart?

Also that spring is wedged between the ball end and the flanged bulkhead. It doesn’t compress much at all and it’s a real pita! I loosedned the nut on the cable and there is no tension and am wondeif the cable might be stuck. Should that ball end actually come out with the cable away from the spring if the cable is loosened/loose?

I usually hook it on before putting the shoes on.

BUT...

With a bit of slack in the line you should be able to pull the spring back enough to slide the cable into the slot.

If you can not get enough slack I
I would be looking at the cable to be sure it can move freely in the sheathing.

Sounds like you loosened the adjuster nut, I. The main cable. (Is the e brake handle in or out) maybe loosen more. At some point you should be able to pull out cable and have a huge gap with no effort.

New video by Dana Nance

PXL_20240508_213609641.jpg
PXL_20240508_213627088.jpg
PXL_20240508_213634530.jpg

A tool like this might help make it easier.

17152045341817332385694827678620.jpg

Last edited:
Tongue . .
You have to have your tongue hangin out just the right way .
Good luck.
Lmao I will see if the tongue technique helps. Possible will add a grunt and a few more expletives as well. Those usually get the job done!

I usually hook it on before putting the shoes on.

BUT...

With a bit of slack in the line you should be able to pull the spring back enough to slide the cable into the slot.

If you can not get enough slack I
I would be looking at the cable to be sure it can move freely in the sheathing.

Sounds like you loosened the adjuster nut, I. The main cable. (Is the e brake handle in or out) maybe loosen more. At some point you should be able to pull out cable and have a huge gap with no effort.

New video by Dana Nance

View attachment 1716247339View attachment 1716247340View attachment 1716247341

A tool like this might help make it easier.

View attachment 1716247343
My cable does not separate from the ball end. Must be stuck somewhere. I tried pulling it really hard nothing. Ill have to dig deeper on my darn back…

My cable does not separate from the ball end
It should.

Paint?
Got so hot it melted the led "ball" a bit?

Try a knife or small screwdriver to separate the "ball" from the spring

Unless the spring is really compressed it's really not too stiff to move by hand.

It should.

Paint?
Got so hot it melted the led "ball" a bit?

Try a knife or small screwdriver to separate the "ball" from the spring

Unless the spring is really compressed it's really not too stiff to move by hand.
Ball is not fused to the spring. The cable appears stuck somewhere.

If you have to buy a new cable, DO NOT BUY A NAPA CABLE. They do not fit the backing plate hole very well. I found after trying 4 different cables, the advance cables are really good. But there are other good ones out there also. And i work at Napa.

I was able to break the cable free without damaging it. It was stuck and tight and I was able to push and pull it through the sheith until it was “relatively” smooth. Now it should be a snap.

Good, but if u don’t have it totally free it will stick on the brake on that side so don’t use your E brake till u get it fixed. Graphite in the little tube works great. Put some in from each end. Best to have the cable unhooked from each end.

I don't remember where I saw it but someone made an adapter of some type that went over the cable and and end and they were able to pump some type of lube into the sheathing

-
Back