rear end swap drive shaft lenth

-

grease monkey 73

Reaction score
Hey guys can anybody tell me what length driveshaft im goin to need when I swap out my 7.25 with a 8.25 im still goin to be running my 225 slant and 904

I don't know the length but I do know it will need to be 1/2" shorter than the original cause the 8-1/4" rearend yoke centerline is right at 1/2" longer than a 7-1/4's centerline. If you know the length of the original just shorten it 1/2" and you should be fine. If you don't know the length of the original and have a yoke to slip into the transmission do that then slide it back out 1" and measure center to center of the U-joint mounting points with the car sitting at ride height and that's how long the shaft has to be.

Hey Grease Monkey I made a mistake. I accidentally looked up the diff. between a 8-1/4 and a 8-3/4 so the difference is a lot more than I said earlier. There is 1.6" difference in a 7-1/4 to a 8-1/4 driveshaft. Sorry about the mis-information.

Thanks but I guess its goin to be awhile I can't find anywhere around here to cut it for me and my car can't be out of commission long it my daily driver

You might try posting a want ad in the want ad forum. There are several guys parting cars out and I bet someone has one for sale as they were widely used. Just make sure and get one for your body style car as there are different lengths depending on the body configuration such as 2 or 4 door and 108" or 111" wheel base which depends on what model a-body you have.

I have never personally measured an A-body housing flange to flange but was told by a reliable source that chart has the wrong flange to flange dimension. It shows 51.4" for an A-body rearend which is over an inch to narrow. He said several guys have cut there housings down as per that chart and it was too narrow for the axles. The yoke centerline is correct but not the flange to flange dimension.

I also just noticed that chart shows an 8-3/4 being used in a 73-76 A-body which is also not correct as 72 was the last year for an A-body 8-3/4

-
Back