Rear End Width

-

moparNJ

Reaction score
I’m in the middle of the project of a mini tub and spring relocation in my dart and was wondering a little about rear end widths, been searching a lot on the forum of what kind of different widths people are using but it’s mostly back spacing that comes up.
I was thinking about maybe have the housing shorted down to 39” to have the smallest amount of back spacing as possible, will that be to short when the frame rails are 37,8" apart?

I’m in the middle of the project of a mini tub and spring relocation in my dart and was wondering a little about rear end widths, been searching a lot on the forum of what kind of different widths people are using but it’s mostly back spacing that comes up.
I was thinking about maybe have the housing shorted down to 39” to have the smallest amount of back spacing as possible, will that be to short when the frame rails are 37,8" apart?

First, you need to have room for your brakes, and going to 39" on the housing probably won't do that.

As far as the "smallest amount of backspacing possible", why?

Pick your wheels first. Once you've decided on what wheels you want, size the rear end width to center those wheels in the tubs. If you pick an arbitrary rear axle width and then need to have custom wheels built, you haven't done yourself any favors.

-
Back