Rear end width?

-

Dartin

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]I have a B-body 8 ¾ rear with 11 x 3” brakes. I’m going to have it narrowed to stock A-body size. Do I need to make the housing and axles narrower to fit the 3” brakes? Stock A-body 8 ¾ came with 1 ¾“ brakes. It seems like I would want to narrow 1 ¼ “ on each side more than stock A-body for the wider brakes. Or am I missing something? Thanks.[/FONT]

Dartin, i think you are asking if the rear end has wider brakes does that make the rear end wider. No, the axel flange to axel flange is the witdh of the rear, and brake width dosn't make a difference. The brake baking plates are different for wider drums.

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Keith, I appreciate the answer.

The flange to flange needs to be about 1/2" narrower if you want to keep a rear at 60 1/8 total with brakes other than the factory 1.75" width.

The standoff on the a body 8.75's is different than the other 8.75 rears. It's about .25" less standoff each side.

Will the spring perches need to be moved in at all for the wider brakes, Cracked?

The brakes won't make a difference on perch location. The 3" brakes do get really close to the perches on an A rear. If you tried to run the B perch location in an A, with 3" brakes, you may have some interference issues.

The B does have the perches 1" total further apart than an A 44" vs 43". I've spread the spring to get them there before. Best to move them in.

Crackedback, thanks for the tip. It makes sense and interestingly I was thinking of making the rear about 1/4 " narrower on each side just to give a little more clearance to the outside. The Darts are not that easy to slip a wider tire into. The rear I have was under a 30's chebby truck, so I was going to place the spring perches where I need them.

I appreciate the help, it's a lot easier to do it right the first time then to figure it out from your mistakes.

-
Back