rear glass trim install

-

DARTLARRY

Reaction score
While my car was out getting painted the painter removed the rear glass trim, in doing so he broke all of the mounting clips around the glass. I have since purchased new clips and installed a new vinyl top. The problem is that I cannot mount the rear trim clips due to limited room between the glass and body. I am trying to avoid removing the rear glass to mount clips, has anyone had this same problem, any advice would be appreciated, by the way the car is a 1972 dodge dart.

While my car was out getting painted the painter removed the rear glass trim, in doing so he broke all of the mounting clips around the glass. I have since purchased new clips and installed a new vinyl top. The problem is that I cannot mount the rear trim clips due to limited room between the glass and body. I am trying to avoid removing the rear glass to mount clips, has anyone had this same problem, any advice would be appreciated, by the way the car is a 1972 dodge dart.
Is this problem all the way around or just one side or top or bottom? Are you sure the clips are identical to the old ones?

It is mainly the top clips, I have the identical clips. They mount with a screw, there is no room between the glass and trim valley to install a screw without removing the glass.

If the sides and bottom can clip and hold you might be able to use some windshield urethane to hold the top one. Just be sparing with stuff. If you glue too much you will have to ruin them for any subsequent removal.

I just did the same on my 72. you have to remove the rubber to put the clips in.

I just did the same on my 72. you have to remove the rubber to put the clips in.

did you remove the rear glass?

Glad I read this. I will be installing glass in mine soon. I probably would have done the clips last....or tried to. Same deal for the front too?

Just took my rear window out of my 72 Dart. Clips HAVE to go in first. Because the last thing I did after removing the gasket was removed the clips.

20181019_185201.jpg

I did the same on my 66 and i was able to get all the clips out except one so it looks like the window is going to have to come out! Sorry for the bad news,
Rod

I may experiment with an epoxy on a separate piece of metal and test to see how strong it holds the clips in place. If it works I may go that route.

Nothing is going to bond well to a slick/painted surface. You would need to scuff the paint and the clip. If I was going to try adhesive I would try the type that bonds the rearview mirror mount to windshield. I learned to wire brush/clean those surfaces too or it wouldn't stay.

It doesnt look like removing and reinstall would be that difficult on rear. I think that's the route I am going to take. Will need 2 people but looks very doable.
Rod

I was going to scuff both surfaces first, I cant bring myself to removing the rear glass.

Your fooling yourself if you think it will work. Remove the glass. Do it right.

I agree, do it right or just leave it off. Glue is not going to hold it.

The rear glass is not really that hard to install. I bought a new gasket and painted around the clip area before installing.

-
Back