Rear Leaf Springs

-
Ok, here's my stupid question...who in the hell wants their car to sit higher or lower on one side or the other?? I have got no where with MP so I am stuck with springs I can't and won't use on my car. So I guess someone here is gonna get a hell of a deal on a set of MP XHD springs......any takers????

Are you going to Carlisle? If you are and you still have the springs, I'm interested. Dave

The MP right rear springs sits higher for the same reason batteries in the trunk are set to the right side. When a car launches the torque goes from left front to right rear. Its for good launches. MP stuff tends to be for racing purposes. Buying two lefts seems to be the answer. For A-bodies you want the ones for 3100lbs.

A put a set of vintage SS springs on my duster and it sits exactly like yours does. Raising the front slightly will offset this. I know having my Duster sit up this high in the rear gives me a bachache to drive it too much now:)

I bet what you have are SS springs. If it is sitting 1/8-1/4" higher on the right side, it's almost a for sure. You will probably notice your front left height will be lower because of the way these springs load your car. You can easily compensate by cranking up front left bar a bit.

I don't like the way it looks either, will probably flip the hangers first before swapping springs again.

One thing I noticed is my car hooks up really good, even though it has a new suregrip I am amazed how well it plants the tires even in turns. My 2006 GTO does not hook as well(especially on turns) as my Duster even with the traction control on.

I think SS springs will plant the power better than HD springs.

It does seem to plant the rear really good...its gonna be interesting to see the difference when I get and install the ESPO springs, 1" over stock...keeping my fingers crossed for the right height!:scratch:

I'm going with the ones from JC whitney myself. They are a good quality product for cheap. I'm sorry that MP gave you the wrong springs. Your car definately sits high.

What a difference! Now I feel better:cheers: Thanks ESPO ! And thanks to those of you who pointed me in the right direction! Dave

100_1540.jpg

100_1539.jpg

100_1538.jpg

100_1541.jpg

Oh, how do ya like the new battery with the FY1 caps??

100_1544.jpg

100_1543.jpg

100_1545.jpg

That stance looks awesome! Shouts "muscle" but not "high school shackel high" and gone is that very low spring arch displaying behind the rear tire from the XHD's.

So this was a +1 A-Body spring? Any other specifics I should pass to ESPO if I want the same thing for my 68 cuda? Thanks!

BTW.. your car just looks great (FY1 caps and all)!

Dmoore,nice duster the stance is perfect..espo makes a great spring i ran them on my previous duster,my current duster has a pair of older Mopar xhd's which work great for what i do with it..

That stance looks awesome! Shouts "muscle" but not "high school shackel high" and gone is that very low spring arch displaying behind the rear tire from the XHD's.

So this was a +1 A-Body spring? Any other specifics I should pass to ESPO if I want the same thing for my 68 cuda? Thanks!

Thanks! I am very happy with it now! Yes 1" over stock, thats it...I'm glad I went with that......gives you a lil room for sag in the future......love the high school shackle line..Ha Ha! Dave

Dmoore,nice duster the stance is perfect..espo makes a great spring i ran them on my previous duster,my current duster has a pair of older Mopar xhd's which work great for what i do with it..

Thanks Stroked 340, they are a great spring in the right application......Dave

For comparison on the visible leaf spring..........

Mopar Performance XHD springs

100_1304.jpg

ESPO 1" over stock

100_1540.jpg

Dave, looks much better with the new springs. I like the new wheels and centers too! I went with ESPO springs but just the standard ones. I like them but if I had to do it over again I would go with +1".

Yeah, that looks better that way, bet it doesn't hook as good though, but then again who cares.

Here are my after and before shots. Not thrilled with the High School look either.

Last shot was with the junk out of the trunk on level pavement, car sat pretty level with the standard duty ones at 35yrs old, just could not plant the power of my 360 and suregrip.

superstockresized.jpg

1973_DUSTER_PASS.JPG

1973_DUSTER_DRIVER.jpg

How much were the +1" ESPO springs?? I know it probably won't be the same now, but it should be in the ballpark.

Goldduster, the ss springs were a little taller for tire clearance that you don't need. If you want it to sit lower just install some 1" blocks at the spring/axle housing.

Those Espo +1" springs will hook just fine.

ESPO gets my endorsement too. Very good customer service, one call and EVERYTHING I needed was taken care of.....bolts, bushing, etc, the lady on the phone knew what she was doing. No mistakes. That says a lot when dealing with a 45 year old car.

I will say the +1" over stock height leafs I ordered did raise the rear quite a bit...they settled somewhat over time, but not that much.

It is a big relief to get rid of the original, sagging springs. After the new leafs don't be surprised if you notice your torsion bars feel weak lol....

-
Back