Rear Main Seal Started Leaking....High RPM?

-

DA4AD

Reaction score
We were out playing around with the car tonight. I had the car bounce of the rev limiter a few times.
After a couple of passes the car started smoking (oil), upon investigation the oil is leaking out the clutch inspection cover.
Why would this happen? i don't think there would be any other place for oil to leak, would there? I will be ripping into it tomorrow.

The following questions are to try and figure out why this happened.
1) This is the breather on my motor. it is open to atmosphere, although i do have a PVC. should the open to atmosphere be bigger or piped to the air cleaner so vacuum would help?
2) Can i change the rear main seal with out dropping the crank? There used to be a tool many years ago called a sneaky pete?
3) Can you adjust the rev limiter on a MSD ignition system?

Attachments

• Dart Sport 01010.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 416
Your car should have the 6AL MSD. There is a small port on the side you can plug a rev chip into.

Are you still thinking about coming through Idaho next month ? If so I have your shroud and a bunch of those chips. 6500 rpm should work.

Yes on Sneaky Pete(in the car,great main swap). Check Lisle tools.Stock Mopar breathers,smoke the aftermarket stuff.

Your car should have the 6AL MSD. There is a small port on the side you can plug a rev chip into.

Are you still thinking about coming through Idaho next month ? If so I have your shroud and a bunch of those chips. 6500 rpm should work.

Sent you a P.M.
Any thoughts on that rear main seal?
I had a look at the MSD this morning, it has a 6800 chip.
I was worried it was higher. not sure how strong that bottom end is as it not the one you built!

I would check your pcv system a little excess base pressure at high rpm it gotta get out somewhere. the rear seal and around the oil pan is common places to leak with excess base pressure.

Might not hurt to run vents into the headers off the valve covers. A little negative pressure will help evacuate the crankcase better.

Use a evac system to prevent PCP. I always use it on built street motors to keep them from leaking. Breathers hooked to aspirator valves on the headers at 45 degrees inserted into the collector.

Attachments

• DSCF0092.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 361
Use a evac system to prevent PCP. I always use it on built street motors to keep them from leaking. Breathers hooked to aspirator valves on the headers at 45 degrees inserted into the collector.

Any pictures of the collector connection? This is a common problem I assume on built motors.
Heading down to the local speed shop this morning to see what they have.

The evap systems can be problematic when the cars run full exhaust system because the backpressure negates the vacuum created by the flow and the valves don't open fully or consistently. IMO you're better served with the PCV operable and the breather on the opposite valve cover. If there's excess pressure in the crankcase - the breather that normally would be the intake to the crankcase evacuation system, becomes an exit. I would take a look under the breather you have and make sure the hole is completely open. Some have a stamped steel plate with a punch out that is typically not opened fully.
On the rear seal - You can use the "fingers" if you have a rope seal. If you have a rubber seal (my gues is this is what you have) it can be pushed out with the main cap in place. It also have been in backwards... I've done that myself and there was no immediate leaks. it was only after some miles and some higher rpm shifts (also a 4sp).

The evap systems can be problematic when the cars run full exhaust system because the backpressure negates the vacuum created by the flow and the valves don't open fully or consistently. IMO you're better served with the PCV operable and the breather on the opposite valve cover. If there's excess pressure in the crankcase - the breather that normally would be the intake to the crankcase evacuation system, becomes an exit. I would take a look under the breather you have and make sure the hole is completely open. Some have a stamped steel plate with a punch out that is typically not opened fully.
On the rear seal - You can use the "fingers" if you have a rope seal. If you have a rubber seal (my gues is this is what you have) it can be pushed out with the main cap in place. It also have been in backwards... I've done that myself and there was no immediate leaks. it was only after some miles and some higher rpm shifts (also a 4sp).

I was kind of wondering about the evac system.
I picked up new gaskets, and yes I have a rubber seal. At least that's what the kit came with.

It is call a evac system. And it works the same way a jet valve does . An exhaust has no negative effect. That is if it the nipples are installed correctly. At the correct depth and angle. I had a stroker chevy truck here that the hood cable was broke for a year . The guy never checked anything. The valve cover bolts were all but falling out. The aspirators would pull the covers down. Since I saw that I was a firm believer.

Any motor with a larger cam that has alot of overlap does not make sufficient vacuum for a PCV system. You would be better off with dual breathers on pipes with catch rags.

The only draw back with a evac system is you shouldn't run the pipes to the front of the rear tires. If something happens to the motor it will suck out the oil and dump it on the tires. Always dump in the center or use tail pipes.

I do not have pics loaded of my collectors and the car is in the race trailer. Next time it is out I am going to take a lot more pics of the car.

Several have asked for more pics of other things and I just didn't have time when it was out.

Well ripped into it tonight.
Found that the rear main seal is O.K,...........how sweet is that.
The oil leak was coming from the front of the transmission. All four bolts on the bearing retainer are stripped. Sure wish someone would have left (and/or kept) the factory 4 speed trans..............MBAIRD!!!!!!!

I wanted to swap this O.D trans out for a 5 or 6 speed T56 over the winter anyway, so now i will be watching for parts to do the swap.
I know of a couple 833 4 speeds locally. I'll try and pick up one up tomorrow to get me through the summer.

:burnout:

Attachments

• OD 833.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 305
-
Back