Rear of hood stays popped up

-

TylerW

Reaction score
Hey guys:

The rear of the hood on my Sport stays popped up a couple inches whenever I close it. I can push each rear corner down by hand and then the hood sits flush.

What's behind this...dry hinges?Adjustment? There's no damage to the front of the car.

Thanks.

You need to loosen the hinge to body bolts and "tip" the hinge forward a bit!! Of course, you'll have to re-adjust the hood some when you do, but that's the fix!!

You need to loosen the hinge to body bolts and "tip" the hinge forward a bit!! Of course, you'll have to re-adjust the hood some when you do, but that's the fix!!

If he can push it by hand, those bolts are plenty loose
With the hood up, push the back of the hood towards the hinges and tighten up a little
Repeat untill it sits flush

KEEP IN MIND to lower the hood very carefully while making these adjustments
It is possible for the hood to get far enough out of whack to overlap on a fender, or the cowl and damage the paint

Reminds me how old timers would put a putty knife on the cowl to make the hood stick up on 40's Fords to help defrost the windshield.

Try to see the marks on the hinges usually you'll see a little groove of where the bolt was at originally you can use it as a guide somewhat. It's way easier to do with 2 people

When 1 corner of my hood did that, the hinge was sprung & needed to be replaced.

Hope yours is just loose hinges or adjustment......

As soon as I get a chance to inspect further, I'll let you know what was wrong. Thanks.

-
Back