Rear swap to a 65 B Body 8 3/4

-

Golden Scamp

Reaction score
Read alot that says a B Body 8 3/4 will fit into an A-Body, if spring perches are moved. Rear out of a 65 Satellite going into a 68 Dart. The early B Body rears will increase width by around an inch per side. Does anyone recommend this set up rather then finding an A-Body rear and paying for it? I have a C-Body 8 3/4 already and wonder if it's not better to just have it cut and use it. Main concern becomes will my 15x7 stock BBP rims fit with 4 1/4 backspacing? Thanks.

Andy: The B rear will bolt right into the Dart. The spring perches are 44 inches wide on the B body and 43 on the A body. That's a half inch on each side. You can pull sideways on the leaf spring (or loosen the spring hanger bolts) and get it in with no problem.

Also, if you use 73-76 A body discs on the front, THEY are wider than stock leaving you with a wider track on the front than on the back. The B body rear corrects that, giving you the same stance front and rear.

Basically you say you already have the B body rear, so it won't cost you anything to stick it in there. Pop it in then SEE if your wheels work. If not, run some other wheels while you send out the C body rear and get it cut down.

Good Luck!

Thanks Greg. I just wanted approval from someone who has already attempted this. Sounds like a winner to me.

I did this once, and I made the holes on the perch oval so I didn't have to pull the springs out. Worked great! good luck

I put the B body rear in my Dart Sport. I did move the perches in though. I just could not bring myself to "pull" the springs apart to compensate for it because it will eventually cause uneven wear on the bushings. It will work though.

My stock Rallyes fit right on there too, although I have larger wells. You will want to check your sidewalls on the outside after you put the wheels on to check for rubbing on the well lip.

thanks for postin this i'm puttin a 65 b-body 8 3/4 in a duster. i heard the same as well.

-
Back