rear sway bar?

-

dennday67

Reaction score
Okay so I've been working on my 68 valiant. Upgraded the front to bbp disc brakes, 2800 lbs ss rear springs, I plan to add sub frame connecters, and the hellwig 55906 front sway bar after the front is realigned. The car will be 99% street driven so will a hellwig rear sway bar make a big difference? And what size tortion bars would you recommended. It has the stock 6 cylinder tortion bars currently.

i know to not post about chebys but here it is.. dad put a hotchkis sway bar on front n back and made a huge difference.. non ss chevelle so the rear sway bar was "added"

big boat feels like a champ car now if that helps at all

Since I have the hellwig 1 1/8" front on order isn't there rear 7/8". Would that be the "matched set"?

I read in another post that the hellwig rear is a 3 way adjustable 3/4" to match the 1 1/8" front.

Sometimes adding a rear sway bar to an A Body will cause it to become tail happy, or rather over steer. Be careful not to use a very stiff rear bar. Various combinations of tires, spring rates, and ride height will yield very different results. Higher than factory rear ride height tends to contribute to over steer.

Depending on if you have /6 SB, or 300 lb heavier BB up front I would start looking at 0.940” to over 1.000” torsion bars. These cars were way under sprung from the factory, and respond nicely to stiffer bars. I have 0.940” bars, 1 1/8” front anti-sway bar, sub frame connectors, factory ride height six leaf rear springs with no rear sway bar in my /6 ‘67 Dart ragtop. The car is very neutral, ride is not harsh, and not at all tail happy .

I was thinking 1" tortion bars Max for my setup and Ive heard a lot about the tail happy effect when adding too large of a rear sway bar. So my plan is to do the larger t bars, frame connectors, and front 1.125 front sway bar then see how it rides and go from there.

I was thinking 1" tortion bars Max for my setup and Ive heard a lot about the tail happy effect when adding too large of a rear sway bar. So my plan is to do the larger t bars, frame connectors, and front 1.125 front sway bar then see how it rides and go from there.
Good plan.

-
Back