rear u-joint question

-

bigtooth

Reaction score
I'm trying to track down a vibration in my new-to-me '72 duster with a 727 and 8.75. I took a look at the drive shaft and u-joints last night and one thing that stuck out to me was the rear joint didnt appear to be centered in the rear yoke, the caps were tight in the straps, and the joint has the inner clips and they were there but one clip was up flush to the inside of the yoke but the clip on the other side set in between 1/16 - 1/8 of an inch in from the inside of the yoke. I loosened the straps and there is definetly that play between the inner clips and the inside of the yoke, this is not correct right? I'm going to investigate further tonight, but wanted to get some opions. thanks!

Something is most definately wrong. What's the chance that the yoke is for the "big" joint and you are running a shaft with "small" joints?

I didn't check but I think you can get a conversion joint that is "half and half."

could be, but the straps seemed to be tight on the joints caps, but I did notice, at least on one side, the strap seemed to be out of round, like one side had bee over tightended compared to the other.

Your end yoke sounds as if it is worn-out from a cap spinning possibly and wearing a grove in which the clip now has and is able to uncenter the joint, and that would be more than .010 and will make a fairly healthy vibration

You might be on to something SS.
I think i've determined the joint that is int there is a 7290 to 7260 conversion with the 7260 ends attaching to the pinion yoke. The distince between the clips on the 7260 part of the joint is 2.125 inches, this is correct from what i've read. However, the distince between the inside edges of the yoke is ~2.278 inches. So that about .15 inches of slop, and it was tightned in there via the straps so all the slop was to one side.

Could there be that much wear in the yoke? Everything seemed tight, or am I looking at a different series yoke?

In the notes that came with the car, it said the rear end was built with a solid pinion spacer. Is there an easy way for me to confirm this before I try to pull the yoke?

Took a closer look at the yoke last night. It appears the PO took a grinder of some sort to the inside of one of the yoke flanges. The other side was still flat. I didnt notice at first because it had been painted over.
I suspect that the u joint was centered in the yoke, being that the clip was up against the unmodifed side, but do you think that the missing material could be enough to cause a vibration?

When the joint is off center in the end yoke the shaft rotates in a oblong rotation, which is worse then having the tube untrue, because you can't balance out a uncentered shaft like you could a out of true tube.

You'll have to change the end yoke

-
Back