rebuild a carb/Manifold+carb question

-

DartSport340

Reaction score
I have a 1973 Dart Sport340 car. Its got a older Edelbrock 750 on it now that was set up(butterflies bored out some) for a lot bigger cam than the car has in it now(it was set up for the 284/484 MP cam...its got a stock cam now it doen not run correctly..I DO however have the original TQ and manifold and I also have a usable 600 Holley(vac secondaries) Can you guys recomend me a place to rebuild the Holley and do it right..I dont want to mess it up and have gas all over :) . Also it has a regular Edelbrock performer(NOT the RPM) manifold on it...should I leave the edelbrock on it OR should I just throw the Original 1973 340 manifold back on....would I see any real gains in a otherwise "stock" engine???

My thoughts for simplicity are just leave the Eddie performer on it and get the Holley 600 rebuilt by a quality shop and then put that on for better drivability...Thoughts on this????

I would tune the Eddy for the motor you have now. Why make drastic changes when you could tune what you have? Might I ask as to why you put the stock cam in?

I would tune the Eddy for the motor you have now. Why make drastic changes when you could tune what you have? Might I ask as to why you put the stock cam in?

dont race it anymore and it didnt idle that well and the power brakes didnt work that great with the Mopar Performance 284/484 cam in it..thats a pretty stout cam for a 340. I would have gone a step above stock but before I bought it my Father in Law put a stock profile cam back in it..id have gone somewhere inbetween the 284/484 and stock...the only thing on the 750 was the butterflies being drilled I dont know how that effects the performance with a stock cam . and im not a big fan of the Edelbrock dont drive it for 3-4 days and have to crank and pump gas for a hour(and drain battery) to get it going again....never had to do that with the Holley....

Rather than go through a manifold change redo the 600 and your
driveability should improve. A stock cam 340 would do well with a
vac 600....Who does it would depend on where you live.
I don't know of any mailorder Holly rebuilders here in GA.
>>Note. i am not familiar with the flange pattern on the Edlebrock,
but the stock 73 340 manifold would be a spreadbore type which
would accept a Thermoquad.<<
...some manifolds will only accept spreadbore style (TQ) OR square
bore type (600 & 750) carbs.

drilling a small hole(s) in the butterfly was a old time thing, way
back, to help the idle, sometimes it did-sometimes it didn't.
i don't believe it will hurt anyting...

I would put the stock intake back on it and have Demon Sizzler do go through your thermoquad.

Rather than go through a manifold change redo the 600 and your
driveability should improve. A stock cam 340 would do well with a
vac 600....Who does it would depend on where you live.
I don't know of any mailorder Holly rebuilders here in GA.
>>Note. i am not familiar with the flange pattern on the Edlebrock,
but the stock 73 340 manifold would be a spreadbore type which
would accept a Thermoquad.<<
...some manifolds will only accept spreadbore style (TQ) OR square
bore type (600 & 750) carbs.

drilling a small hole(s) in the butterfly was a old time thing, way
back, to help the idle, sometimes it did-sometimes it didn't.
i don't believe it will hurt anyting...

maybe your right I assume I could just epoxy the holes from the top side and that would stop the flow...???? or just leave it as it DOES run ok right now I just didnt like(but can live with) the Edelbrock "bleed out" and hard start after sitting///that was my main thing...id even went as far as to think about adding a electric fuel pump to kinda "prime" it quicker and give the battery less stress??? make sense?? or sound dumb??

I would put the stock intake back on it and have Demon Sizzler do go through your thermoquad.

I found the TQ to be a later model smoger type not the good earlier 340 OE tye I thought it was :(..whats gonna be the difference in the OE manifold and the regular Edelbrock performer thats on it now?? Im not TQ knowledgable its the only carb ive never messed with so im a tad bit intimidated/scared that I may not be able to easily "tune" it....what ya think??

the performer intake has small 318 sized ports. I think Demon Sizzler has an already built 73 340 thermoquad listed on Moparts for sale, $200 If I had the cash I would grab it.

Im getting the TQ and putting the Stock 73 intake back on(i may check the intake #'s to be sure its what I think it is so I may have yet another question on that :) .

200 bucks is a good deal on that carb, grab it if you have the cash. I run a TQ and had to learn it, but it does do the job. They can be intimidating for sure, but there is a lot of info out there about them. Do some reading and go for it.

http://www.moparnuts.com/images/stuff/Tquad2.pdf

http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Lit/Master/290/intro.htm

im just waiting on him(Demonsizzler) to PM me back for what payment he takes and a final question or 2 I had about installing one. Im sure he can answer them and it will work out that I get the TQ from Sizzler..just had a few set up(making sure its set up for me to use now with my combo) and what i will need for installation since ive never installed a TQ on anything before.

3671918 is the correct casting number for your intake.

lol you saved me a post :)

im going to check right now!

And yes same #'s dirty as heck though how you clean those up lol.

I just wanted to check something anyone got a picture of the bottom of this manifold?? or whats the plate thing thats located on the bottom of the manifold..never noticed anything like it on a aluminum manifold and ive never run anything but aluminum..this is my first experience with a stock manifold...im assuming its supposed to be there...maybe to keep oil off the bottom of the intake>??? thats just a guess though..

It's there to keep hot oil off the bottom of the carb area. Check the rivets that hold it on and make sure they are not loose. I removed mine and installed a lifter baffle.

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/molivaoilbac.html

thanks a ton I kinda figured...Ok I wont start yet another question thread and you guys have been great helping so I will include it here....I talked to the guy at the restoration shop(redid the 69 RoadRunner for me all the way to paint stage then a friend painted it for me) and talked about getting it in for a Inspection and antifreeze/oil change.

We got talking and I told him what I was going to do in changing back to stock intake and TQ.....he said at my performance level which he considered stock even with the headers and stock type(since its not the Mopar part ) cam that I would NOT really see a lot of difference performance wise between the stock intake and the Performer...

he actually suggested just running the TQ on the Performer for now and save the $$ of hot tanking or sand blasting the stock intake...I guess in the back of my mind i figured that it was a option but never thought about it till he said/why not run the Performer and the TQ(to save money)...what do you guys think about that...if there wont really be a lot of performance differences im guessing at my lower level its not gonna hurt is it?? would this be a ok move? would I really give up anything at my performance level?? and im assuming the TQ would work fine on top of the Performer intake?

You may not feel the difference but if your trying to make the car look stock the performer doesnt look the part in my opinion. Gaskets can be bought for under $20 and if your going to change the antifreeze anyway that would be the time to do it.

Wish you were close by, Id do the work for the price of parts.

You may not feel the difference but if your trying to make the car look stock the performer doesnt look the part in my opinion. Gaskets can be bought for under $20 and if your going to change the antifreeze anyway that would be the time to do it.

Wish you were close by, Id do the work for the price of parts.

No, not really trying to make it look stock..I just figured if it was a big performance choke off(meaning the Performer) id change it over..but he said with a stock cam, 8.0-8.5 compression, no real head work that its not really gonna make much of a difference..its just spending money for what amounted to LITTLE performance gain..(he was just trying to save me $$ as he knows I dont have a ton to spend). and that the TQ should do fine on top of the performer thats already in the car and then it was just a carb change instead of a manifold clean up($25 to sand blast),gaskets($20),paint($5) and then carb change..said it would probably save me $50-75 in blasting or hot tanking paint and gaskets..all id need for the TQ was a adapter he believed..

I wish i was closer too id love to do that. I did the rocker arms and pushrods while being "supervised" :) by my father in law to make sure I didnt put them in upside down or something lol.

The thermoquad will bolt right up to your performer. Give it a shot. You can always change it later.

The thermoquad will bolt right up to your performer. Give it a shot. You can always change it later.

Now If I can get Sizzler to answer his Emails i guess he may be out for the weekend or busy and get payment arrangements made :thumrigh:.

I would need a adapter/ type gasket or something right?? or wrong??

-
Back