Not open for further replies.

Dfnsmn34

Margarita Mike
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Contact seller
Aloha!

I have a 7.25 Sure grip clutch type pumpkin for sale. It was rebuilt with new parts from Ratech and Randy's Pinion. (Clutches, bearings etc.) It's never been used although my mechanic tried to install it and he didn't have any luck. I'm not sure the reason but it wouldn't fit in my 7.25 for my 66 barracuda. Although, my 7.25 had shims and not adjusters and I believe thats was part of the issue.

It was difficult for me to find parts (Took a few years) and I'm really bummed I couldn't use it. :wack: But I'm hoping a fellow FABO member can use it. :burnout:

I can ship it using USPS Priority air mail Flat rate. So about $15 a little more if you want insurance. US customers and $40 for Canada and Mexico.

Asking price is $300. Paypal preferred. But I can take credit cards and checks and or Money Order. Just the typical delays with waiting for them to clear.

What you see in the picture is what you'll be getting.

If you want other pictures no problem. Just ask. PM me!!!

Attachments

• IMG_3435.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 1,150
  • IMG_3433.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 1,144
  • IMG_3438.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 1,167
I know that the earlier 7 1/4" axles have smaller axle bearings than the later ones and the axle tbes are sized accordingly. Maybe, just maybe, a later model ('73-up) housing will swallow that ring set.

Sedanman~ mahalo. it is a 7.25 pumpkin.

V-100~ mahalo. More than likely that is what happened to me as it just won't fit and the green colored bearing (in the photo) are to big for the axles in my 66. Thankfully I found a complete 8 3/4 rear that I will eventually swap when my current 7.25 fails.

I'm at the same stage as your 7 1/4 suregrip rebuild & my assembly stage matches your pictures.

I've already assembled the bearings that your questioning to the suregrip assembly and have checked their fit to the bearing hold down caps & they fit perfectly.....

Consequently I think we should compare bearing cup numbers to see if maybe you have the wrong bearing cup...keep in mind that bearing cones can fit a number of different bearing cups.

Compare this bearing cup number to yours: LM501310-N.

Also note that the differential housing must be stretched or spread about .012 in order to drop in the suregrip assembly....this is the method used to preload the bearings since adjusters were not used. Is your mechanic trying to drop in the assembly without spreading the differential housing?

DonPal~ Mahalo. Same bearing cup number. I can be 100% sure but I think they did. The Mechanic ended up using shims from a chevy rearend to shim it up. He just couldn't get it to fit. But I can't blame him, finding anyone here on island that has even worked on a 7.25 is difficult.

Your guy needed the case spreader... I have one I've used for the Dana 60s but it will work on anything. I'm looking to upgrade my 7.25 but I'm thinking of the 8.8 conversion for cost, gear choice, and brake options. Wish you were closer... I don't think you can get further from Hawaii than CT...lol

So, as I understand it, your carrier was too narrow and required a stretcher that your mechanic doesn't have -- or was too narrow and required shims to make up the difference?

I have a '65 Barracuda with a blown 7.25. and am looking for replacement parts.

All 7.25 rears, with or without suregrip, use shims to position the differential case/ring gear & the pinion. Those shims also preload the bearings for the differential case & the pinion.

In order to drop in the proper shim thicknesses to get the bearing preload for the differential case bearings it is necessary to spread the rear axle housing about .012 inch to get the differential case with bearings and shims to drop in. Once installed the tool used to spread the housing is released and the housing snaps back & preloads the bearings.

Anyone trying this needs to have a shop manual to pull this off half decently.....especially since the shim combinations(they range from .254 to .287 in thickness) used determine backlash(65 shop manual calls for .004 to .007 backlash) between the pinion & ring gear in addition to preloading the bearings. The shop manual helps you zero in on the shim adjustments after you make your first attempt.....expect a minimum of 3 attempts to get it right unless your lucky most of your life.

I made a crude device consisting of jacks located between two beams to spread the housing.......see
https://picasaweb.google.com/107913...key=Gv1sRgCOSt2PCgjt3lrgE#5746908269957835698

Send me a pm if you want details on the homebrewed housing spreader

........DonPal

ps: most mechanics would prefer the 8.75 rear which has threaded adjusters instead of shims so they can dial in the proper gear backlash, bearing preload, etc.

Right on guys. It was to narrow and after seeing what the stretcher entails...I doubt my mechanic or any others on island want to make that tool. (Great job by the way).

Thanks for the info guys.

yeah i saw that too. Happened when I pulled it out of the box to photograph it. damn cat thought it would be cool to rub up on me. rubbed its back and...well you can see. I guess you are saying I need to take pictures that are cleaner...I guess so. (Fail)

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back