Recreating my old high school car

-
update
I had to take a while off from the car but I have started back on it some.
Pretty much got the motor back together and running. Next up is the interior. It is a pain in the butt to do. Thought I would try it my self but now I may wish I just ordered it. Trying to save a few bucks on this and I have the time off work.
Been playing with some wheels that I have. Like the slots but it will take forever to clean and polish them out so I order this set with tires From JD Wheels. 7" in front with 215-65-15 tires and 10" in the back with 295-50-15 in the rear. Remember I want to 70s look with wide tires and jacked up in the rear.
Here is few pics of them and couple of the shop set up as the upholsterer shop.
How about that old Juki sewing machine? Still running strong.

tried the salt flats but not right

I agree, the salt flats rims don't look right on the car. But those Halibrand-style wheels are sweet! Nice.

Yeh, I agree. I like the previous style you had. GET ON that old coupe LOL

I still have my high school car. I have made some improvements. What i really miss is what went on in the back seat of the dart when i was in high school!!!!!

I hear ya Youngun. Mine had the lay down rear seat. What a great time.

Man, that's sweet. Looks like nice weather you're having there, too.

update
I had to take a while off from the car but I have started back on it some.
Pretty much got the motor back together and running. Next up is the interior. It is a pain in the butt to do. Thought I would try it my self but now I may wish I just ordered it. Trying to save a few bucks on this and I have the time off work.
Been playing with some wheels that I have. Like the slots but it will take forever to clean and polish them out so I order this set with tires From JD Wheels. 7" in front with 215-65-15 tires and 10" in the back with 295-50-15 in the rear. Remember I want to 70s look with wide tires and jacked up in the rear.
Here is few pics of them and couple of the shop set up as the upholsterer shop.
How about that old Juki sewing machine? Still running strong.

tried the salt flats but not right

Love the Hailbrand style wheels, the white letters set it off nice.

The car is sweet, nice shop also.

Thanks for the comments.
Been working on the seats for awhile now. I have done a couple interiors before but I am having trouble getting the piping to lay right on the upper part of the bucket seat. I have redone it three times and it still is not right. I was trying to save a few bucks by doing it myself but you have to know when to throw in the towel. So after spending about $300 on material and a whole week trying to get it right, I quit. Ordered new front and rear covers. Anyone use PUI for their interiors? How is their quality? I did not know it but Sumitt Racing has PUI interiors for abodies. Not a bad price $500 inc shipping. Hope they fit good.
Here is a pic of what I did. The bottom is ok but the top is terrible.

Here are the buckets I bought for this car. They did not have the tracks with them and they were out of a four door car and they don't pivot up. I can make the part to let it pivot but cannot find tracks. So I looked around the shop and found some on a pair of import buckets.
Had to drill one hole in them and they worked on the seats. Now I had to figure out how to mount them in the car. I had built a couple pairs of mounts a few years ago to use on an old hot rod I was building. Thought they might work on these.
They are built using 1 1/2" angle iron with slots milled in them so that they are adjustable vertically and horizontally. Mounted them to the seat and they fit the floor really good. Drilled a few holes and here they are. I will still need to weld in support mounts on top and the bottom to make it safe but now I don't have to find tracks and they were cheap and easy to make.
Here's some pics.
The latch I have to make .

The tracks mounted up.

brackets

brackets mounted on the seat

seat mounted in the car

awesome job.. wish I had the paint talent you have. those ansen slots or e/ts? in the 1st photos? those always looked cool.especially polished.

I am off work this week and am getting a lot done on the car. I insulated the interior and installed the carpet. Then I cleaned up and redyed the door panels and installed them. Just waiting on the seat covers.
Today I replaced the 74 bumpers with a new 73 rear and the 73 front off my other car.
I have a new front coming but will not be here until next week and I wanted to get this done. The 73's look so much better. Next up is getting all the lights and electrical parts working. Not looking forward to that.
Here's some pics of the progress.

I think in some ways we all want to re create our high school cars...

Or maybe just the car we WISH we had in high school. I had this crappy 4 door '62 Falcon with 144 6, 3 in the tree and no radio. Then again, most of my friends didn't even have their own cars then so I guess it was cool in that regard.

Couldn't stand it, had to change the stripe like my old car had. Now that's what it's suppose to look like.
Next up change out those rear shackles.
My old high school car.

the new one

Second stripe looks way better.
Your interior is the same color as the one in my duster now.

Yes!
The up and over looks great! The black Rallye stripes on the hood are a great touch.

I like the stripe!

...but you're going to get the Starsky and Hutch questions even worse than I do, lol!

Nice job! Love the look with the wheel / tire combination:coffee2:

Dave,

I like the way,you make simple tasteful changes,that all blend together in a era correct theme.

-
Back