Red clutches,Kolene steels,do I need 'em?

-

rod440

Reaction score
Do I want or need these "red" clutches and Kolene steels in my 727? It will go behind a stockish,daily driver, lo-comp. 440 with a 220@050" cam,HP manifolds,750 AFB,2.94 gear. I'm using a Transgo TF2 kit set up in the mild mode and a TCI Breakaway converter ,also have the 3.8 lever. It's time to buy the kit so I can put this thing back together (with the help of Tom Hand's excellent new book!) Just looking for advice on what kind of frictions & steels to use.

There were millions of 727's behind 440's pulling 10,000 pounds or more that didn't have them.

Stock should be fine. I have a 10.5 sec. drag car and I have ran stock clutches for years with no problems. Check out northern auto parts I think a kit for a 727 is less than a 100 bucks and is pretty complete. Band, clutches, steels, ruber seals, gaskets, metal rings, even filter I believe.

Don't buy less than the best if you can afford it. The red's and kolene's are worth the money. If stacked and built right you can get six in that drive hub. 4.2 arm. I love'm when they chirp second on the street!

Don't buy less than the best if you can afford it. The red's and kolene's are worth the money. If stacked and built right you can get six in that drive hub. 4.2 arm. I love'm when they chirp second on the street!

What is the difference in price? Assuming the trans will last the next 50 years also....

-
Back