Red Kote.....

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Searched and found this thread about sealing a tank. Anyone else ever use Red Kote? Going to reseal the tank on my bike some time soon. It was done with some sort of nickel coating years ago. Looks like it might not have been properly prepped as the coating is missing, and has been ever since it was done, in several spots....Please do not mention using Kreem, I have had 0 luck with it the past and will not be trying it again.....

Searched and found this thread about sealing a tank. Anyone else ever use Red Kote? Going to reseal the tank on my bike some time soon. It was done with some sort of nickel coating years ago. Looks like it might not have been properly prepped as the coating is missing, and has been ever since it was done, in several spots....Please do not mention using Kreem, I have had 0 luck with it the past and will not be trying it again.....

I've got an old 1975 goldwing # 204 build that I did the tank on in red kote. it worked great.
The cleaning of the tank ahh not so easy. that tank has to be really free of any loose stuff and DRY. I used electrolysis to clean it (slow but works great) and then after it was clean did a bath of MEK to dry it out and keep it clean. I taped up the holes and added the red kote, sloshed it around and poured the extra back into a can to use later. let it dry good and long or it'll bleed and peel (mine took about 48 hours to dry in HOT weather 95 or so . The first couple of tanks full of fuel looked red and then it clears up. it's been in the tank for about 4 years now and no problems.

I've got an old 1975 goldwing # 204 build that I did the tank on in red kote. it worked great.
The cleaning of the tank ahh not so easy. that tank has to be really free of any loose stuff and DRY. I used electrolysis to clean it (slow but works great) and then after it was clean did a bath of MEK to dry it out and keep it clean. I taped up the holes and added the red kote, sloshed it around and poured the extra back into a can to use later. let it dry good and long or it'll bleed and peel (mine took about 48 hours to dry in HOT weather 95 or so . The first couple of tanks full of fuel looked red and then it clears up. it's been in the tank for about 4 years now and no problems.

Very well may be getting a new tank for it. With all the troubles I had with fuel seeping thru the tank that is on there now....and the 4 or 5 previous ones that seeped....it will be getting coated prior to getting the body work/paint done...

Red Kote is some good stuff. I did a real rusty and had several holes gas tank in a 50 Chevy pick up. I used pieces of chain in the tank to roll around and knock a lot of the rust out of it. I then cleaned it out real good with soap and water. Then i let it air dry real good before I used the red Kote. The trick is to poor way to much in it and roll it around to coat all the surface. The poor the excess back in the gallon can. Works great! Just remember to clean out threaded holes while it is still soft or you won't later! Tape off any openings while your rolling it around. Then make sure you let it air dry in the sun, I did mine for several days. That was over 15 years ago, still working. I've done three wheeler metal gas tanks also.

I've also used it and am very pleased. Yes cleaning the tank was a pain but doable. I also agree to put way more in than you need and just pour out the excess. I actually set my tank on each end for about 5 minutes to let it seep into every nook am cranny, then rotated.

Prior to install, I washed it out several times to remove as much "residual" material as possible.

I spilled some on my sidewalk during the process and its been there unscathed for 5 years now. Once it's dry it ain't comin off!

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

-
Back