Registering a "Bill of Sale" Car

-

pastortom1

Reaction score
Guys..... In NY State, can you tell me what snags one might run across when trying to get a registration for a "bill of sale" purchase of an old Mopar?

I've run across lots of guys who own them, and at some point plan to register. I have one myself, and know the previous owner....so when I'm ready to register, it's not a problem, even though we don't have an original reg slip. But what of the cars that were purchased with plans of restoring at some point, but came with no registration slip?

How do we go about registering these vehicles in NY State without having supporting documents from a previous owner? I have a couple of friends that bought parts cars from local yards years ago, never expecting the prices to skyrocket.........with the current markets, it's feasible to return a parts car to glory and make out pretty good on the investment if you do your own work.

So what kind of rocky road are we up against getting them registered again?

I just went this week to register my 66 Dart that I had shipped from Alabama to Toronto,Canada.I have.
Bill of sale
Noterized letter from Judge in Alabama
Reciept that tax was paid when car was registered from tax renevue
cross border papers,also duty tax paid receipt from shipper

Now they want a letter from D.O.T in Alabama stateing car was registered in Alabama,I showed them the reciept from tax paid to register(no good)I was getting very hot under the collar with this lady,so I figured come home call Alabama D.O.T and have them send me the letter with a stamped seal.What a headache.I thought I had everything covered,but there is always something extra.Sorry I know yours is state to state,but I thought I would share my experience with eveybody to see.Good luck and do some calls to verify putting a parts car back on the road.

To register in NY for a '72 and older vehicle, all you need is the expired registration, which the previous owner would sign the back of. A quick hand written receipt may also be necessary. NY didn't begin using
"titles" until '73

My car was expired 22 years when I registered it last year. Very easy and painless.

To register in NY for a '72 and older vehicle, all you need is the expired registration, which the previous owner would sign the back of. A quick hand written receipt may also be necessary. NY didn't begin using
"titles" until '73

My car was expired 22 years when I registered it last year. Very easy and painless.

That's obvious.........But what if they don't HAVE the registration slip? A barn find with no paperwork, a car sitting in a field, etc........A lot of these cars don't have any papers at all...............

To register in NY, they seem pretty strict about it...........Anybody have any experience here? It would be good to post some answers on this one if you've been through it.

In Tennessee all we have to do is run the vin at the sheriffs dept, walk across the street, pay $175 and walk out with a tag and new title. I did have a noterized bill of sell to help the fact, but they didnt pay attention to. In fact, they got the first 2 letters in the vin wrong on the title. If you know someone in the southeast or TN you can have it registered in thier name and then "sell" it back to you.

I live in ny and registered a vehicle last year that had absolutly no paper work at all....I took a pic of vin or fender tag w/ vin and placed a piece of paper over vin and rubbed w/ a pencil...and had the owner/someone signed the paper saying they owned it previous, all set put on the road in 10 min's only problem is the title/regy says notransferrable for a while..so you can't sell until all paper work clears....I am still waiting for mine since summer...i will have to check on that

That's interesting.........I would assume, then, that the non-transferable status until the papers clear are due to a search of some sort to see if there is any sort of legal "contest" that could arise........?? I wonder if they actually contact the last known owner of the vehicle for a confirmation or release of some sort...........

This could be interesting if so, especially if the previous reg holder (though they may not have even seen the car for decades) now knows what those old cars can BRING from buyers...............

I'd like to know the outcome of this Chasduster..........Let us know what happens when you check on the papers. :read2:

Anyone else have experience with the paperwork in NY? :read2:

I live a short way from our beloved DMV and I have a good friend that works there. I will ask how to handle this situation and let you know and also send you forms if you would like. Also many of these forms and information can be accessed on line.

-
Back