Relocation, once again, this time, more interesting...

-

DragginMAster

Reaction score
Yes, just last summer I moved from Northwest Arkansas to lovely Central Pennsylvania. Due to certain inescapable events my family members have decided we are moving back.

Next month.

My Dart turns 40 in mid February, I took her on a trailer for the move here to PA. I will be driving her the 1200 miles back to AR, I am excited and nervous. I have put a lot of money into her since I have come to PA, at least a lot of money for me. The Neon I bought a few months ago will be flying wingman :axe:with me on the journey, I am extremely confident the Death Mobile will keep perfect pace with her younger cousin, even if she does need to stop a couple extra times for refreshments:drinkers:.

I plan on bringing a plethora of items with me on this trip, including the good luck tools.

I thought I would ask anyone who happens to read this, what are the tools you always take with you on long trips, "just in case"?

Fuse assortment,flashlight,belts or belt,black tape,spare igniton box,gas can,water,and a tool box with a little of everything.

Set of sockets and open/closed end wrenches. Duct tape and a couple of coat hangers. Pliers and wire cutters. 8' of 14 ga primary wire, extra fuses and electrical tape. Assorted screwdrivers and a big sharp knife. Don't forget the credit card.

Good luck and I hope you won't need any of it.

Anything and everything to do a roadside tuneup, extra water/antifreeze, several quarts of oil, and anything else that you think you may really need.

I wouldn't sweat driving the older car that far, I would be worried more about the newer one.

Whenever I go on road trips it seems like it is the newer trucks and cars that are broke down while the older stuff keeps driving by.

Chuck

Rags, mechanics type gloves, rubber gloves and a blanket...nothing worse than trying to finish a drive all grimy froma roadside repair.

Don't sweat it, the car will be fine. I put 1200 miles on the Barracuda over a 4 day weekend once and have a total of 50k miles on it since painting it and putting it back on the road. I have had one break down and it was my fault that I didn't fix it when it first started acting up (it gave me plenty of warning of a months time).

My only complaint with the 1200 mile weekend was the loud exhaust for hours on end on the hiway is very tiring.

All the above. Check the spare tire and bring a jack and a star bar. My favorite tool is the AAA card. You'll be fine. A lot of good scenary out there.

Don't forget about extra warm clothes for everyone and basic survival-type supplies since you're going to be traveling through snow country in February. There's not enough room in the baby car for the whole crew so they'll migrate to your roomy Cuda in the event of an overnight stay.

Aside from the tools, you might also want to consider throwing a bag of sand into the trunk too ... though the extra weight won't help your gas mileage, it's great for traction and having it there to sprinkle under your tires may come in handy if you happen to get stuck on the side of a slippery onramp along the way. (Don't ask me how I know this LOL.)

Best of luck in your new surroundings, and have a fantastic trip!!!

Long trips such as the one your about to partake should be carefully thought out. I like to always travel with a change of underwear (just in case you get in an accident). Food such as Dorito's that go well with beer. Beer of course (hidden in a huge cooler in the trunk along with your case of Dorito's and your trusty backup pair of underwear). Packing heat such as a 38 is especially important in case someone tries to hijack your ride or simply to shoot at things when you've had too much to drink and forgot to get gas at the lasd G#d D@#mned town and now your stuck in BFE. Bail money is also VERY important... Other than those dire essential you could probably also carry some duct tape, a rusty old pair of channel locks, a water pump and a spare tire. I hope this has helped!

Oh yeah.....I forgot to mention fire extinguisher, flash light, condoms, and make sure you don't forget spare underwear.:butthead:

Radiator hoses, heater hoses, by pass hoses...all replaced b4 you go,if they are over 3 years old.....fan belts etc. A lot easier at home than on the road.

I'm a little surprised no one mentioned the spare ballast resistor and a voltage regulator.
I try to think of things that will stop you dead in your tracks:
no power, no fuel, no wheels, no cooling, no oil.
for the most part anything that you can't "limp" through. I have been on occasion known to carry a spare U-joint. I was stuck limping 50 miles home because I broke a u-joint u-bolt at the rear. Tried to find all of the needle bearings, found the cup threaded what was left of the bolt back into the rear yoke and 20mph was her top speed. All because I left my wallet at home (but then again I was 18 ).
Have a safe trip! The goal is to get there not set a land speed record. The Dart will show you all of the love you've given her and then some. :thumblef:

Now is a good time to move back and buy a home in N.W. Arkansas with the over glut of new homes they are at a bargain! Kevin.:cheers:

Have a safe trip back to or state DraginMAster.:cheers:
When will you be heading back this way?????
You got some good advice here and the only one they missed.

Cell Phone, extra set of key's and if you are running points system
have a extra set, and a back up coil, Sleeping bag and coveralls
We got our first snow here in northeast
Arkansas yesterday, I would figure the northwest has more?
I am always here if you do run into trouble
Make sure your rear end grease is full and has not been leaking out.

How did I miss this thread:sad1:

3snow3.jpg

-
Back