reluctor GAP -

-

BIG-B-Barracuda

Reaction score
last night i adjusted my reluctor gap it was a bit wider than it should have been.

.008 feeler gauge. set to) -

my question is, is this going to mess up my timing? or anything else ?

am i going to have to redo my timing again? :blob::burnout::happy1:

Actually yes, it probably will change timing. And......I would check it.

When I did mine, I did the timing then the reluctor.
Timing was off by 2* after and had to reset it...
Next time, I will do them in the proper order and save myself some time.

I pull the distributor to set the reluctor gap, so it requires that I re-time it by default...

I pull the distributor to set the reluctor gap, so it requires that I re-time it by default...

x2

Plus pull a vacuum on the advance can and make sure the gap is still there. Some plates close the gap as the vac advance comes in.

x2

Plus pull a vacuum on the advance can and make sure the gap is still there. Some plates close the gap as the vac advance comes in.

YES!! Make sure the thing does not make contact in there!!

x2

What exactly do you guys mean when you say pull a vacuum on the advance can? how do i do this? :coffee2:

I seem to remember that the spec is .008 to .011. But they seem to run fine from, touching, to .020plus. Yes I've taken dizzys out with the reluctors clearly shaving the iron pole in the magnet. And I've cranked 'em out to high .020s. So I've always set mine wider, in the .011 to.013 range. That way there's almost no way that the Vcan is able to pull it into the sensor.Seems ok, as the engine revs to well past 7200 and has been doing so for a very long time,(about 11 years). I haven't checked the gap now for maybe 6 or even 8 years. I did check the timing about 3 years ago, and found it right where I set it.
BigB I sense a reluctance or hesitancy to reset the timing. What's up?

To check what the Vcan is doing, align any reluctor tooth with the sensor, and suck on the hose.If you don't have a Mighty-Vac to pull the vacuum, you won't have enough physical power to suck the Vcan to the bottom with just one suck. It will take 3 or 4 or even 5 staged sucks to getRdone. While doing this observe what is going on at the gap. As the parts inside the dizzy wear, the Vcan is often able to pull the gap tighter. A couple of thou is pretty normal. Hence why I set my gap a couple thou wider.

-
Back